Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Co2 water coloring

I'm considering adding some food coloring to the water supply to be circulated through my tube. Any reason why this would be unhealthy for the tube?

..or me?

I ran antifreeze in my tube for a while, can't for the life of me remember exactly why but I did.

You could dribble a little by the inlet on your pump and watch it get sucked around, that would be pretty cool and it would show you just how well your pump works!

I'd like to do it for show. Even though I change the water out all the time, I think it might look a little less gross if the liquid were a nice swimming pool blue instead.

So the antifreeze didn't leave any residue inside your tube?

It won't hurt anything as long as you rinse the tube out so nothing dries and stains. Even that won't hurt the functionality but it won't look good either. A mixture of distilled water and antifreeze is good if you have a closed system that stays full in the event that the laser is stored in an unheated space where it has the potential to freeze. I've seen pics of a few argon and CO2 tubes that had water freeze in the cooling jacket, the ice expands with predictable results.

^ ive seen what water freezing inside a water bottle does, i surely don't want to think about what happens to a laser :eek:

Things

^ Need I say more?

000_1068.jpg

:p

Impressive pic of a destroyed tube! Maybe it could be super-glued back together? :tinfoil:

Last edited:
Aww man that one made me queasy.. I've seen that with a nice coherent medical laser before. Not pretty...