Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CO2 - red beam combiner

It'll probably work, just at greatly reduced intensity. But even at 95% loss, most greens will be brighter than a HeNe beam that's only lost 10% through the combiner.

Just a thought..
95% transfer of 10.6uM light.. lets imagine a 20W CO2. What happens, 1W reflected or 1W absorbed? :O

I have a ZnSe combiner like this --- As far as the green, It looks like a 50/50 splitter.
I have never fed my CO2 into this so I don't know the %/% but it might need a small dump area.
HMike

Thanks guys; Very useful information.

I'm getting a bit curious about translucent and reflective spectral plots for these things, but in that case I suppose I'd better find another supplier than eBay; Beggars can't be choosers ;-)

If green reflection is indeed down to 50%, it defeats the purpose to use a green pilot beam, because I suppose a 50% reflected green beam would be approximately equally visible as a 90% reflected red ream.

@MindBender
If you like to see the beam, I think green is more doable. 50% of 10mW green has a visible beam in night, and plenty bright dot in day.

Just a thought..
95% transfer of 10.6uM light.. lets imagine a 20W CO2. What happens, 1W reflected or 1W absorbed? :O

95% of the aiming beam, sir. This thread is on the aiming beam, and that is what I was commenting on. Pay attention, please.
The aiming beam can not change the main beam in any way, shape, or form. Light doesn't work like that.

95% of the aiming beam, sir. This thread is on the aiming beam, and that is what I was commenting on. Pay attention, please.
The aiming beam can not change the main beam in any way, shape, or form. Light doesn't work like that.

as stated here, "Transmits over 95% of the CO2 beam (10.6um)."

;)

HIMNL9

as stated here, "Transmits over 95% of the CO2 beam (10.6um)."

;)

Yes, this is exactly the same type of dichros i have ..... it transmit around 97 / 98% of the IR, but still adsorb a very small part of it, and reflect at 45 degrees another small part ..... consider anyway that you are not reflecting the focused spot, so a piece of black anodized aluminium, or also better a heatsinked beamdump, is enough for long usage, where for short usage a simple beam blocker is ok (i used a small heatsink from a chipset, one of these with a lot of "pins" as fins, faced to the reflected beam, and it works very well).

The lens, anyway, become a little bit hot in long usage cycles, so i had to use a mount system that helps in dissipating heat, and that involved a larger plate for the lens, heat-resistant and transfer glue, and a small fan ..... but the assembly is working from years and never had problems, til now, so i suppose that the solution was good enough :p :D