Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CO2 lasers on ebay

jbtm

I plan to get one much later, around 60-80W and use it for burning and cnc-cutting acrylic. Just want to know a few things.

1. Can the laser out of the box burn? Just give it power, cooling, and expect it to smoke stuff like crazy at 1-2ft away?

2. Is it easy to make your own power supply? Or is it best to get one that's rated the same power online.

3. For cooling, Is temperature important? Too cold == bad? I was thinking a simple radiator/fan or radiator+Peltier unit, to cool the water. If I have to, I'll use a thermo resistor and have it kill the cooling when it drops below ##F

Has anyone ever bought these cheapys from ebay?
NEW 40W CO2 LASER TUBE CUTTING ENGRAVING WATER-COOLED 1 - eBay (item 200534734404 end time Dec-21-10 23:03:44 PST)

This seller use to have 60 and 80W that I was going to get in the past, for about $200 + shipping.

then, for this example, would a PSU like this be the way to go?
NEW 40W CO2 LASER POWER SUPPLY / ENGRAVER / ENGRAVING - eBay (item 180513943722 end time Dec-25-10 07:03:53 PST)

Or is there better cheaper choices? I've never done CO2 lasers, so I have no idea whats good, bad, cheap, expensive. All I know is the beam is invisible, requires classes obviously, and can burn stuff, and is a pain to focus it to burn for cutting.

1. Yes
2. Not exactly. It can be done, but it's best to buy one if you can.
3. No. Cooler is better, but room temp is fine. Peltier is not required. Coolant max temp is around 140F if I remember correctly. But better to keep it under 90F or so if you can.

jbtm

Sounds good. Something I will consider over the summer. But can these burn stuff as-is? Or do I need concave and convex lens?

Arayan

Sounds good. Something I will consider over the summer. But can these burn stuff as-is? Or do I need concave and convex lens?

It's possible to burn things but if you want to cut with more precision you must use a ZeSe (Zinc Selenide) lenses to focalize the beam.

60-80W is really a LOT of power. You can burn with 1W unfocussed. But getting a focus lens for your 80W is still cool, then you probably can cut metal.

jbtm

60-80W is really a LOT of power. You can burn with 1W unfocussed. But getting a focus lens for your 80W is still cool, then you probably can cut metal.

Well I plan to use it to cut 1/8 and 1/4 inch acrylic sheets. I have seen 40W do this slowly, and 60-80W a bit faster. That's why I figured maybe 40W is too small if I want to make a CNC acrylic sheet cutter over time. For the beginning, I plan to just shoot and hold random stuff to it. CNC comes far later.

Anyone here at LPF ever made a purchase from this seller? Very cheap price, wondering if it's legitament or not...

LSRFAQ

Whatever you do, rig a fume extractor and assist gas before using a high power co2 on plastics. Most plastics liberate flourine or chlorine compounds when burned or cut, and these gasses are a serious hazard.

Steve

jbtm

Whatever you do, rig a fume extractor and assist gas before using a high power co2 on plastics. Most plastics liberate flourine or chlorine compounds when burned or cut, and these gasses are a serious hazard.

Steve

Ya for when i do CNC use, i planned to put a shell around the laser burning area, to extract the fumes through filters, then outside. Well aware of plastic toxic fumes when burning/on fire.