Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

co2 laser

Wow, 50 W! Thats 50 000 freaking milliwatts!!!
That thing must be able to cut steel or something. Must one dangerous thing to have. How are you supposed to be able to test it? Whatever you point it at will burn...

Cool but expensive ;D

50W is about the average for CO2's. They have an invisible beam so you don't really know if it's lasing unless you stick your hand in there :eek: Thanks to their poor beam specs you can point it down a corridor and it won't burn the wall, it will diverge to a warm patch.

Oh, okey.
Co2s huh?
Now I need to know what that is. I know what CO2 is but I didn't know there were CO2 lasers. Are there special diodes or do they use diodes at all?

CO2 is chemical that lases inside the tube (carbon dioxide) - it's basically a huge tube filled with a gas mix containing carbon dioxide, and electrical terminals at each end. Add a sprinkle of about 30,000v - and you have lots of excited photons lasing at the 10.6um wavelength :D

diachi

MarioMaster said:
CO2 is chemical that lases inside the tube (carbon dioxide) - it's basically a huge tube filled with a gas mix containing carbon dioxide, and electrical terminals at each end. Add a sprinkle of about 30,000v - and you have lots of excited photons lasing at the 10.6um wavelength :D

IIRC it's only like 1% CO2 and the rest is nitrogen/helium .

VillageIdiot said:
50W is about the average for CO2's. They have an invisible beam so you don't really know if it's lasing unless you stick your hand in there  :eek: Thanks to their poor beam specs you can point it down a corridor and it won't burn the wall, it will diverge to a warm patch.

It's gotta be a loooong hall at 50W. My 60W could light paper and cardboard 25 feet down my hall.

It comes with two power supplies that are connected in parallel. They have a 28vdc output

If they are in fact matching supplies, I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a "K" in that parameter some where.

50W is typical for smaller RF pumped lasers like synrads etc. The smallest sized ones i've seen are about a foot long and put out 5-10W. Most co2 lasers are in the 50W+ range.

That's something I'd buy in a heartbeat if I had money to burn....CO2 lasers not only burn just about everything - they burn a good deal of cash as well!

Then add in that $600 shipping fee :eek: CO2 is fun -- to bad the beam is invisable.

Mike

that and the soso beam specs. wat i wouldn't give for a 100W 0.1-5mrad ir laser. talk about dangerous though need somthing which could stop the beam

Think 50W is a lot?

There is a machine shop around here that uses a 40kW (yes... kilowatt) co2 laser system :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah, that really puts things in perspective! Where I worked the best they had was a 8KW CO2 laser, but 40KW - wow! Now that would be something to see in action.

Somewhere in the page about CO2 lasers at Sam's Laser FAQ (can't find it right now, darn it) there is mention of a 105KW CO2 laser that's used for welding somewhere in California, San Fransisco, I think. One of these days I'm going to write a letter to the Mythbusters and beg them to go check that monster out - talk about the ultimate laser burning video! That thing's right in their own backyard! Imagine the things you could do with 105KW of coherent light! :eek: