Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI vs. DL, a tough decision for 589nm.

joeyss

What did those 80mws end up reading?

and they're equally as bright as 532nm right?

@nwfreefly

Maybe you can work out a deal with DL where you have it written as a contract the unit you will receive will be at least 50mW, if it isn't you can return the item, get your money back and no shipping back to DL should be taken on your behalf.

If DL truly sells 50mW 589nm Spartans this shouldn't be a problem :)

-Alex

For the record I purchased a DL Spartan 589nm fully expecting it to be crap. It was worth the risk for me to gamble on something that "could" be 100mW but like I said it was a gamble. Fortunately I lucked out. I ended up with a great laser that has worked without problems and peaks over 120mW. It was a purchase that was well worth it in my opinion.

@nwfreefly

Maybe you can work out a deal with DL where you have it written as a contract the unit you will receive will be at least 50mW, if it isn't you can return the item, get your money back and no shipping back to DL should be taken on your behalf.

-Alex

Thanks Alex, here is the email I sent them. Well see how it goes. If I get this in writing I will order the laser from them. If he won't then I don't know how to take that. A company that wont stand behind their products isn't worth the gamble. These 589's are beautiful but sure are a problem child of lasers. Flaminpyro pm'd me with the problems he has had with his CNI and has sent it back 3 times. Im not sure this wl is worth all this lol!

Greetings Adam,
I am considering buying the Spartan 589nm from you but since this is an expensive laser I have some questions . Do you meter these units on an LPM before shipping and guarantee the power output to be as advertised? I am familiar with the characteristics of 589nm and how unstable they can be so I do expect the power to jump around. What concerns me is I have read 2 reviews of your product that peeked much lower than 50mW. What was even more concerning was the difficulty one of the buyers had to get a refund on a laser advertised as 50mW that only peaked at 24mW.. In fact the refund he did finally receive was $60 less than his purchase price not to mention the cost of return shipping that wasn't covered. Before I spend over $400 on a laser I need assurance in writing that it will be in spec or higher, and in the event it is not when I meter it the item can be either exchanged or returned without any problems and my entire purchase price shipping included be refunded. If you can assure me of this I will order.
Thank you,

@nwfreefly

-Alex
I tried this tactic a few days ago, but they didn't bite. :D

I told them that I would buy if they guaranteed average output of 50mW over 30 seconds that I would buy, and this was the reply I got:

Spartan 50mW yellow laser average around 50mW. It is not guaranteed to be above 50mW.

Best Regards

Adam

^Hmmmmm.....

Of course if you get the laser and it's power jumps from 40mW-70mW that's fine. Im talking if the thing stays around 30mW-40mW and barely peaks over 50mW then there is a problem :p

Best of luck freefly, luck us know their answer!

-Alex

I tried this tactic a few days ago, but they didn't bite. :D

I told them that I would buy if they guaranteed average output of 50mW over 30 seconds that I would buy, and this was the reply I got:
Yeah its was kind of a long shot but I figured it was worth a try. I don't expect them to bite either.

^Hmmmmm.....

Of course if you get the laser and it's power jumps from 40mW-70mW that's fine. Im talking if the thing stays around 30mW-40mW and barely peaks over 50mW then there is a problem :p

-Alex

Thanks Alex Ill keep you posted.
On other breaking yellow laser news I have exchanged emails with CNI a few times today to see their willingness to discount the PGL3 589nm 80mW and I have good news. At first they would only lower the price from $840 to $700 with a min order of 10. I told them that would be very hard to find that many people interested as that's not as much discount as in the past.
I just got the reply that they will match the previous discount of $585 without shipping. Its still a 10 unity min order but maybe we can negotiate that down a bit. The last one only had a 5 unit min so we know it is at least possible.

So there it is. Could be the beginnings of a GB feeler.

Yeah its was kind of a long shot but I figured it was worth a try. I don't expect them to bite either.

Thanks Alex Ill keep you posted.
On other breaking yellow laser news I have exchanged emails with CNI a few times today to see their willingness to discount the PGL3 589nm 80mW and I have good news. At first they would only lower the price from $840 to $700 with a min order of 10. I told them that would be very hard to find that many people interested as that's not as much discount as in the past.
I just got the reply that they will match the previous discount of $585 without shipping. Its still a 10 unity min order but maybe we can negotiate that down a bit. The last one only had a 5 unit min so we know it is at least possible.

So there it is. Could be the beginnings of a GB feeler.

That's amazing! $585 for 80mW's of 589(probably more due to most CNI lasers being overspec). I suggest you post a Feeler in the B/S/T and see who bites, dosen't hurt to ask :)

That being said, I like watching over GB and seeing people get their lasers. Im weird like that :whistle:

-Alex

Here's a video of the on i have, made it for you.
Don't know if it's any help...

Starts low power ... get's to 50mW, and then ''bam'' ''flash'' it goes in the ~100mW and stay's there a little while.

It's alway's like this, so mine needs a warmup i guess ^^
So i think not all behave the same, (aldo PGL's are know to be on or overspec)

Ignore the spartan in the back ^^

Thanks you Smeerworst that video is great! These 589's are like crazy jumping beans lol! But seeing that video just makes me want one more!

^Hmmmmm.....

-Alex

Here's the reply from DL. I don't think I would buy this type of laser from them.

Hi Jeff,
If you have so much concern then the 589nm laser does not suit you. This kind of DPSS laser is not stable especially putting in a small housing but output high power.
I am sorry I don’t want to talk anything about the experiences with any of our other customers because we respect their privacy.

We have 7 days satisfaction guarantee. So if you don’t like your purchased laser you can send it back for refund. Shipping costs are not refundable.

Best Regards

Adam

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

That was the GB started by norbyx, which was taken over by DJNY, and continued on with this thread, "http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/cni-gb-closed-82555.html#post1187343"
IIRC, all the units in this GB were at, or over spec., some by quite a bit. Mine, (lucky #4) turned out to be one of higher performing ones. :yh:

@joeyss - Using the "Perceived Brightness Calculater", the 532nm beam is shown to be 1.74 times brighter than the 589nm, but it shows the 532nm dot to be only 1.15 times brighter than the 589nm.

Last edited:
From reading all these cases and reviews its clear that 589 is a very unstable laser and kind of a crap shoot. I'll be able to better decide once I get replies from the two companies. People have payed between $800-1100 for their CNI 589's and $440 for DL and it seems that the CNI is more stable and has better customer service.

This is one of the reasons why i think overly technical reviews can sometimes be a negative as well as a positive, because they can seed ideas that don't necessarily reflect the facts. Sure,the LPM graph of these tend to look like someone's heartbeat, but that doesn't translate the same to the visual output of the laser. I got one from a previous member (who'd LPMed it, if I am remembering right) and typically it was an "all over the place" reading. Yet when I hit the power button it comes on nearly as instantly and cleanly as a diode laser, and for the most part has a visually perfect output, unless you hold it very still.

I don't even own an LPM for this reason - buy good quality lasers from reputable companies and don't worry too much about the precise numbers, is my way of dealing with it.

AHHHH! I super want a group buy for this. YET! I have read alll the positives and negatives for this color and still have yet to be able to make a decision! The huge factor to me is that everyone is so bi-polar on it! No Steady No buy!

AHHHH! I super want a group buy for this. YET! I have read alll the positives and negatives for this color and still have yet to be able to make a decision! The huge factor to me is that everyone is so bi-polar on it! No Steady No buy!

I think what trencheel wrote is good to keep in mind.

Very true! I Love this color! I am just trying to justify getting this laser for cheaper... My bad!!

Last edited:

gozert

I took the gamble and purchased a DL spartan 50mw a few days ago after seeing how GR3EN was satisfied about his. Also, I have only seen two people receive underspeced units, of which one was back in 2011.

I'll keep you updated.