Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI Shipping and Repair Redux.

So, a few months ago I had to send a 400mW PGL-III-C 532 back to CNI for repair. Big back and forth about shipping as they insisted on FedEx. $100-damn-bucks a way.

This week, my CNI GLP-589 fails *18 days* out of the 6 month warranty, and CNI is insisting, on top of me paying for the $105 repair (okay, arguable, it was out of warranty.. but I've bought how many lasers from them? 18 days? Give me a break. Or not. Okay, fine.) .. but once again, they insist on FedEx for shipping.

A little math.

USPS / Tracked, Priority International: $13.25

FedEx international, 0.5lbs, to Changchun: $95.00

Yeah that's right. $95.00. Per direction.
CNI "graciously" allowed me to use their account, which brings it down to $65 a direction.

That still makes it $235 to repair a $250 laser. Which failed in 6 months of sitting in a drawer. I'm currently imploring that they allow me to use USPS, which they say ABSOLUTELY not -- that it "WILL get lost".

Maybe they're right. Maybe it will. But I have my doubts. It's stuff like this, that really makes me wonder why I keep buying $1000 lasers from CNI, when they can't even meet me in the middle on shipping. That, and other people seem to get differing results.

I know some folks have successfully sent their lasers to CNI for repair via EMS/USPS, and had no trouble. So I wonder what the big sticking point with my situation is?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear - to say the least, I'm kinda nonplussed, not only at the early failure but the unnecessary hoops they're making me jump through to get this thing fixed.

Ava's suggestion was that I "buy another laser and keep this one on hand for next time I need another laser repaired". What the... Really?

I don't get what it is with chinese companies and providing completely craptacular service lately.

I know it's not ethical, but I don't think what they are doing is either... is the laser marked in any way (serial number)? If not... buy an identical unit and send this one back for a refund.

Another potential option... how much is insurance on the EMS shipping? Use EMS and if it gets lost file a claim?

Take that $1000 and buy an AR-15. You'll get much more joy from it than any laser could ever bring you.

I don't get what it is with chinese companies and providing completely craptacular service lately.

I know it's not ethical, but I don't think what they are doing is either... is the laser marked in any way (serial number)? If not... buy an identical unit and send this one back for a refund.

Another potential option... how much is insurance on the EMS shipping? Use EMS and if it gets lost file a claim?

See, *that's* what I don't get. Ava tells me, "Do not ship EMS it will get lost." .. Okay, but if it does, and I insure it for the $250 it cost... then I stand to possibly come out ahead if it DOES get lost? I mean, that's legitimately what shipping insurance is for...

The only thing I can guess is that somehow, it costs them a few extra bucks (and I do mean a FEW extra -- since on a $250 laser it CANT be that much) to receive an EMS package. So they'd rather I spend 650% more so they can avoid a 15% tarriff.. or something.

Maybe there's no possible way that their reputation in the hobbyist community could POSSIBLY affect their bottom lines and this equation is worth it to them.

As for the "buy new and swap"... unfortunately that little serial number sticker is pretty tough to transfer. They'd probably catch on. I -generally- don't play those kinds of games though, because I'd not want them played with me... And I've been the screw-ee enough to not really want to be the screw-er.

... Even if the "right thing to do" would be to at least meet me on half way on shipping with it being 18 days out of warranty, even if they weren't going to cover the repair ...

(another issue alltogether is .. $95.00? For 0.5lb? Really, FedEx? What do you fly these packages on, magical planes made of solid gold, fueled by unicorn farts and flown by Buzz Aldrin, personally?)

Last edited:
See, *that's* what I don't get. Ava tells me, "Do not ship EMS it will get lost." .. Okay, but if it does, and I insure it for the $250 it cost... then I stand to possibly come out ahead if it DOES get lost?

The only thing I can guess is that somehow, it costs them a few extra bucks (and I do mean a FEW extra -- since on a $250 laser it CANT be that much) to receive an EMS package. So they'd rather I spend 650% more so they can avoid a 15% tarriff.. or something.

Maybe there's no possible way that their reputation in the hobbyist community could POSSIBLY affect their bottom lines and this equation is worth it to them.

What really gets me is the hobbyist market is NOT that small, the cheap junk companies seem to realize this... and a couple of better companies are also around. It might not affect CNI bottom line much, but why turn away business with lousy practices? :shrug:

Ship it EMS insured and see what happens? If it gets lost, file the claim. I mean even if they have to pay extra for processing via EMS... how is that your fault?

Hopefully it will just get there and get repaired.

(I wouldn't suggest a buy and swap normally, but I've been on the screw-ee consumer end enough times that I really feel no pity doing something like that to a large company that mistreats me first. If this was a small company, I wouldn't do it even than, but with a large company... That's just me though.)

(Fedex is a ripoff... any other shipping options, UPS, DHL? I know DHL delivers to russia, also high prices, but at least the package gets there in one piece.)

Last edited:
Ship it EMS insured and see what happens? If it gets lost, file the claim.

That's where I'm headed, I think. And I guess I get to post another play-by-play for the experience books and the records here on LPF.

It just chaps my hide, dammit.

It just chaps my hide, dammit.

I would've used a few other choice words... but this is an open forum:eek:

Hopefully you'll get a working laser back either way, although it will take a while with a claim.

(Going a bit OT if I may... Have you ever done a rainbow array with all your lasers and some smoke?)