Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CLOSED: Osram PL 530 Modules: 808 nm to 530 nm OPSL Technology - Narrow .3 nm Linewidth (new, old stock)

Who is in for a group buy of PL530 low power ~50 mw green output laser modules? The more people we can get, the lower the price I can offer. I've been paying $10 dollars each in the past, I can get that price down to 7.50, or less, depending upon how many I order. Once we get enough people, I will need to collect the money via PayPal before I commit. These will be at my cost, buyer will need to pay shipping.

OPSL Technology info:
Low noise for holography: Unlike multi-longitudinal-mode Nd-based lasers, OPSLs do not exhibit green noise and deliver better noise performance than diode-pumped solid-state (DPSS) lasers, but without the need for line-narrowing optics, stabilization loops, and precise control over cavity temperature. The fundamental difference in behavior results from the short excited-state lifetime of the OPSL gain medium. With no stored gain, dynamic fluctuations found in DPSS lasers are completely absent in an OPSL and the longitudinal mode-pattern is thus entirely determined by the characteristics of the laser cavity. With this completely static mode pattern, there are no fluctuations in the overall doubling efficiency, and therefore no "green noise."

The above photo shows how quickly the beam expands due to the 4 to 8 mRad divergence. Inside, I do not see any collimation optics in the unit at all, the OC lens appears to be flat. Perhaps it has some amount, but if so, very little.

These units are not tightly collimated, if at all, and have a divergence somewhere between 4 to 8 mRad, per the manufacture specifications. Reports are they easily produce 75 mw output if actively cooled, I assume that means with a TEC. I've seen another report they can do up to 120 milliwatts output when cooled with a TEC but cannot guarantee this as I have not tried myself.

Due to their narrow linewidth of about .3 nm and low noise, these are ideal for holography work and if expanded to 20 mm diameter output, have far lower divergence than most laser pointers using a lens of that diameter. If the modules raw divergence is 4 mRad, you should be able to get somewhere around .2 mRad divergence using a 25 mm diameter lens which is only 80% filled. If the output has a divergence of 8 mRad, you should get about .4 mRad when expanded to 20 mm diameter output.

At their lowest specified divergence which I cannot guarantee, you could expand the output using a concave lens to only 5 mm diameter and then use a standard ~6 mm diameter G2 lens to collimate the output with, at that beam diameter the divergence could be as low as about .8 mRad which is far lower than most DPSS laser pointers. At 5 mm beam diameter with a raw divergence of 8 mRad (the highest the specifications state they can be) the divergence could be as low as 1.6 mRad which isn't terrible, but more than most DPSS laser pointers.

Note: Without further expanson and collimation, the output has too much divergence for use in a pointer, at least, in my opinion. You will need to further expand the output with a negative focal length concave lens and then collimate that output with another lens such as a G2 PCX aspheric lens which are commonly used in our homemade laser pointers. The larger the diameter the collimation lens (with more expansion prior to it), the lower the output divergence.

Note: The last attached file indicates these have a fundamental wavelength of 1060 nm that is then PPLN doubled to 530 nm which is incorrect, it uses SHG OPSL tech (OPS chip) with an 808 nm laser diode.

Thumbnail, click. Note: The last attachment indicates these units operate at a fundamental wavlength of 1060 nm and then doubled, the laser diode is not 1060 nm, but 808 nm. The document I took the screen capture photo of should not have been worded that way, it is misleading, but I have included it due to the mention of 120 mw of output power (I am sure, only when actively cooled).

Attachments

• PL530 specs.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 5.40.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 5.40.08 PM.png
    927.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Osram PL530 - Tiny 530nm OPSL | Page 4 | Laser Pointers.pdf
    971 KB · Views: 16
  • PL530 PPLN.png
    PL530 PPLN.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Anthony P

Who is in for a group buy of PL530 low power ~50 mw green output laser modules? The more people we can get, the lower the price I can offer. I've been paying $10 dollars each in the past, I can get that price down to 7.50, or less, depending upon how many I order. Once we get enough people, I will need to collect the money via PayPal before I commit.

These units are not tightly collimated and have a divergence somewhere between 4 to 8 mRad, per the manufacture specifications. Reports are they easily produce 75 mw output if actively cooled, I assume that means with a TEC. I've seen another report they can do up to 120 milliwatts output when cooled with a TEC but cannot guarantee this as I have not tried myself.

Due to their narrow line-width of about 3 nm, these are ideal for holography work and if expanded to 20 mm diameter output, have far lower divergence than most laser pointers using a lens of that diameter. If the modules raw divergence is 4 mRad, you should be able to get somewhere around .2 mRad divergence using a 25 mm diameter lens which is only 80% filled. If the weakly collimated output has a divergence of 8 mRad, you should get about .4 mRad when expanded to 20 mm diameter output.

At their lowest specified divergence which I cannot guarantee, you could expand the output using a concave lens to only 5 mm diameter and then use a standard ~6 mm diameter G2 lens to collimate the output with, at that beam diameter the divergence could be as low as about .8 mRad which is far lower than most DPSS laser pointers. At 5 mm beam diameter with a raw divergence of 8 mRad (the highest the specifications state they can be) the divergence could be as low as 1.6 mRad which isn't terrible, but more than most DPSS laser pointers.

Note: Without further expanson and collimation, the output has too much divergence for use in a pointer, at least, in my opinion. You will need to further expand the output with a negative focal length concave lens and then collimate that output with another lens such as a G2 PCX aspheric lens which are commonly used in our homemade laser pointers. The larger the diameter the collimation lens (with more expansion ahead of it), the lower the output divergence.

Chris
I'll take 2... if this helps.

Hi, Chris. I would get in on this, but I have a lot of unforeseen expenses this year and don't have the expendable cash right now. Good luck on your GB.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I would take one if I could. Let me consider it.
How do you drive them?

Last edited:

diachi

Why are you using one of my pictures to try and sell these? I don't recall being asked and I see no credit there either.

How do you drive them?

Two LM317s, one in constant current for the diode, one in constant voltage for the heater. Check my thread, most of the details should be there. Doesn't need to be an LM317 to be fair, but that's what I went with.

Link: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/osram-pl530-tiny-530nm-opsl.103937/

Thought I had it in my sign but apparently not.

Diachi, I didn't think you would mind, as it is for the LPF forum and not to make money, likely a loss. Most of what I do for people here is at a loss, well, everything, I’ve never sold anything here, only give. If you mind, I will take it down, but I don't see why you are up in arms over this. (Edit: I removed your photo, found a better one I ripped from the net here: https://holowiki.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9912&sid=0169faca82462dbf01e392b2a37e6705).

If we can get 50 of these in a group buy, I will donate two each to everyone who has posted above this post, including you.

Last edited:

Anthony P

How do you drive them?
I bought one a few months ago that was prewired. It has an LM2596S buck for the heater and laser diode driver board with PJ358CS for diode. I run it from 5v 4A regulated wall transformer. My experience with diode lasers is very limited. Hope this is enough info for all the experts out there to figure out.

The 808 nm IR laser diode on the board runs from 1.5 to 2 VDC using a constant current driver. In my initial post which started the GB opportunity I’ve attached a pdf of one page of the thread diachi linked to where he shows his project with pictures in the document. The unit also needs voltage to run the heater pad under the periodically poled crystal, seems easy enough. Diachi is the best LPF source with personal experience getting these running.

Everything is in his thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/osram-pl530-tiny-530nm-opsl.103937/

Edited: Removed 1060 nm, see page 2 of this thread for OPSL diagram and photo indicating 808 nm

Last edited:
Chris, if you get to 50 let me know. I could spring for a couple at $7.50 or $10.00 each.

diachi

The 1060 nm IR laser diode on the board runs from 1.5 to 2 VDC using a constant current driver. In my initial post which started the GB opportunity I’ve attached a pdf of one page of the thread diachi linked to where he shows his project with pictures in the document. The unit also needs voltage to run the heater pad under the periodically poled crystal, seems easy enough. Diachi is the best LPF source with personal experience getting these running.

Everything is in his thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/osram-pl530-tiny-530nm-opsl.103937/

Diode in these isn't 1060nm, regular ~808nm diode pumping an OPS chip which lases at 1060nm, which is then doubled.

Think I linked the research paper on these, worth a read if anyone hasn't done so already and is curious.

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    649.7 KB · Views: 17
If it's going to be anywhere between $7.50-$10 before shipping I'd take 2 as well :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, I think I would need one with a driver so I can simply hook up a wall adaptor to it.
I take it that these in the GB don't come with drivers?

Eracoy

I'll take 4 of them.

And no, they don't come with drivers. I think I'm going to go with something similar to the design in that thread up above. I would think the heater would need to supply less power after the heatsink is warm. There's no built in measure, so it could be difficult to keep the crystal the optimal temperature. I wonder if you could measure how the resistance of the heater pad changes to get an idea of the temperature? It's even easier to have a probe outside next to it. It probably won't be that big of an issue anyway.

Last edited: