Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chiefs new RPL Blue! (15mw)

Well i finally saved up enough money to buy my RPL blue.  :cool: It arrived in the post on monday but i wasn't able to get down to the post office before 5pm so i had to wait till the following morning. :-/ After a whole night of watching bowflex ads on t.v (which i have to say is a QUALITY machine) it was finally 9am so after a quick drive down to the post office i recieved this:

DSCF0047824x618.jpg

(Note thats just the box there was more inside)

After pulling the bubble wrap out i found this my very own Optotronics wrinkly foam case  :D (just like on the website!)

DSCF0048824x618.jpg

And after opening the case i found my new RPL Blue!

DSCF0049824x618.jpg

After first holding the unit i realised how much longer it seemed than in the pictures. Also that there was a "Warranty void if removed." sticker on the back, since then the writing on it has worn of but its still there. (i fear it could fall of in a matter of days though!!  :eek:) I also noticed that it had a apeture shutter and rather than the twist and close shutter thats on my Alpha it had a simple sliding mechanism that shifts back and forth covering the apeture. It also had a Optotronics sticker aswell as a more official danger label below the button.

DSCF0058824x618.jpg

I also noticed a led light just above the button. After first pressing the button nothing happened then i realised that it had a key lock! I was quite impressed with it unlike other key locks this one didn't have to stay in the laser during use you could simple turn it on and leave the key lying around to turn it off later. After turning the key i noticed the led turn green yet still no light.

IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/Chief-Eamonn/Blue%20Junk/DSCF0065824x618.jpg[/IMG]

After pressing down on the button i heard it 'click' and stay on until i had pressed it down and 'clicked' it again. Also i noticed that during operation the led changes to red. I also noticed that after pressing it down slowly there was a period between the red and green indicators were it it turned of i like to call this 'hidden tiger' mode because although it appears its turned of its extremely close to blasting out some blue light!  :cool:

DSCF0067824x618.jpg

After playing with the laser a bit i decided to have a look at some of the other stuff Jack had sent me. There was a charger and adapter for my australian wallplug aswell as a single 18650 battery. This originaly had me freaked out because i ordered a spare set of batterys aswell as the ones on the laser which i then realised the RPL only runs of 1 18650 battery!!  ::)  ;D

Also included was a free 5mw pointer which jack had measured doing 9mw which i was very happy with because now i could compare it to my new RPL with less multiplying! The laser looks like the 200mw newwish lasers you see on ebay it opend from the middle and has a very nice clicky plastic button which makes it feel a bit more like a toy. (which appealed to me!  ;))

He also sent me some complimentory optics i got a prism aswell as 2 convex lenses a blue piece of glass ( :-? ?) some diffraction gratings and another oddly shaped dohicky..

All this can be seen below:

DSCF0052824x618.jpg

The original deal i made with jack was for a 10mw RPL Blue but he had ran out the only one he had left was having mode issues he thought is kids had been playing with it. So he upgraded me!  :D hooray! This unit measured in at 19mw average (very close to an RPL 20mw) and Jack told me he had seen it move up to 25mw at times.  :) (pretty good since i payed for 10-14mw  ;D)

Heres a little pic of the dot:

DSCF0070824x618.jpg

I noticed when i first gave the dot a good look over that there was a little patch of blue light out to the side of the dot at first i thought the optics were dirty then i realised that it was light reflecting of the handle for the apeture shutter!  ::) This can be seen in the picture above ^^ (cant clean that of with a q tip!)

DSCF0068824x618.jpg

The brightness compared to the 9mw pointer was difficult to catch on film in this photo the room is lit and the RPL and 9mw Greenie actualy are very close if not identical when it comes to brightness although when i turn the lights of and give my eyes about 10 minutes to adapt the RPL becomes noticable brighter!

DSCF0074824x618.jpg

DSCF0076824x618.jpg

So heres my not so thorough summary:

Pros :D

- Cheapest blue laser on market.
- Not Pulsed!
- Solid build with quality finish.
- Very Bright! and oww so pretty! :-*
- Great keylock superior to my Alpha.
- Versatile Button with constant on/off aswell as temporary use.
- LED indicators with super secret 'hidden tiger' mode.
- Wrinkly foam case!!
- LONG lasting batterys.
- Large duty cycle with auto shutoff feature.
- Cosmetic beam (low divergance and fat!).
- Free Optics!
- Free Upgrade!
- 12 month standard warranty.
- Jack   :-*

Cons :'(

- Would prefer a twist close apeture shutter.
- Warranty label.

In general id say its superb and id strongly recomend anyone interested in a blue laser to go RPL. Ill take some divergence measurements tommorrow when the suns up but i havent slept since monday morning so im going to go to bed. Goodnight all.  :)

ngiapy

Goodness! they sure look stunning!!

How did you produce such beautiful beamshots?

The secret is to use lots of fog.. then edit the hell out of the pics on the computer then dispose of most of them leaving only the good ones. ;)

roSSco

How did you get the beam shots where they are fanning out?

Ref

roSSco said:
How did you get the beam shots where they are fanning out?

Looks like a spinning mirror, to me. The camera doesnt do a good job of expressing depth.

Or I may be wrong. =P

Gazoo

Awesome review and pictures chief.. :D I long for the day when I can get a blue. :)

Ref said:
[quote author=roSSco link=1199802077/0#4 date=1199805198]How did you get the beam shots where they are fanning out?

Looks like a spinning mirror, to me. The camera doesnt do a good job of expressing depth.

Or I may be wrong. =P[/quote]

Yep its a spinning mirror ;)

DSCF0086824x618.jpg

Hi Chief,
I'm glad you RPL blue arrived quickly and hope you're satisfied with it.

I have a couple comments to add and a correction.

About the warranty label, I got a bum batch of warranty labels that were not laminated on the top or if they were, some have a thin coating of it. Depending on humidity and how much that label gets rubbed, the text can come off. There is no worry to be had about the label coming off by itself as it is a tamper proof label and the glue is very strong.

The thing is that the warranty period on your RPL is actually 12 months, not 6 months.

The blue colored rectangular glass is a beam splitting / interference filter. I'm not sure what the "do hicky" is as I'm not sure what item you're talking about, but if you post a better/ closeup of it, I'll tell you what each item is.

Thanks
Jack

Great reviews Chief, and thanks for sharing. :D

I can see that the DPSS produces a nicer beam than Diode LASER.
I really like to see the reflection (second beam) from the aperture handle go away, but that is just me.

Ahh 12 months sorry ;D I kinda wrote this review while i was falling to sleep.
Anyway heres the 'dohicky' kinda looks like a glass prismic gizzmo:

S6300169512x384.jpg

ahh shit man! i forgot u were an aussie :p your in brisbane though arent you? i had an idea you were, once i remembered u were from .au

i SO have to get one of these. DEEEEFINITELY!

Things

WOW looks nice, now just try combining beams to get WHITE!! Have fun with it, sure looks cool! ;)

BlueFusion said:
ahh shit man! i forgot u were an aussie :p your in brisbane though arent you? i had an idea you were, once i remembered u were from .au

i SO have to get one of these. DEEEEFINITELY!

nope Perth  ;)