Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Safety Goggles -Uvex Review & official information

BLABLA

The company in question does not intend to have these goggles used for the purposes of protection from laser light. As such the goggles are not tested to the same specification as would be required for laser safety.

For example, you can use a plate of steel, or dense wood, or just thick leather to protect yourself from bullets. It's better than nothing, but those materials are not something you would find used on body armor.

My goal is LASER SAFETY. That's why I'm concerned. What happens when some moron sees this post, decides NICE, I get's me some cheapo goggles, and they don't work? This is why I list them as the last possible option, and they should be considered as such.

Now how is it childish to call you out on not actually posting a review?

YOU HAVE REVIEWED NOTHING.

Just linked to manufacturer specs and the reviews of others. That is not a review.

CSA Standard Z94.3-02
Eye and Face Protectors

This standard relates to eye and face protectors for industrial and educational
processes. Hazards covered by the standard include: flying particles/objects,
heat/sparks, chemical splashes, molten metal, UV, visible and infrared radiation.
Hazards not addressed in the standard include: x-rays, gamma rays, high energy
particulate radiation, radio-active material, lasers or masers. The standard also outlines
the performance requirements tests but not comfort, service life or appearance.

Last edited:

G9KOVZk.jpg

Notice that second bullet from the bottom? It's on the actual packaging that's sent out.

Had you bothered to actually review these goggles for yourself, instead of being a drama queen you would have wondered, well gee golly, why would they say that?

Why would Uvex not corner the market on laser safety goggles, and blow all those cheap chinese junk, and overpriced over regulated certified goggle suppliers out of the water.

The answer is, there is a big difference between goggles being able to absorb ambient visible light, and being capable of blocking a hit from a laser.

The specifications listed, and what these goggles are rated for, has nothing to do with laser safety use.

Please, go ahead, and contact Uvex, and get an OD rating for these. Can't? Well there is a reason. They are not laser safety goggles.

These are merely goggles that may work to block laser light, but manufacturing processes do change, and they can change significantly without altering the specs as they are listed... except that you, or someone just taking your word for it, could end up with no protection, or very low level of protection, and think they are safe.

For the future, do your own research and reviews.

These goggles are a better than nothing option if you have not personally tested them to meet your own safety requirements.

Hiemal

That is kind of weird though, why would the goggles have that specification? I mean, they get tested for that stuff right?

And then right below they say NOT to use it for lasers.

I mean I understand why they would say not to use it for lasers it's just an interesting contradiction.

That's because the standard quoted by blehbleh is written by a regulatory agency, and I expect it covers laser safety in a subsection, and the specifications in much greater detail.

Meanwhile the manufacturer knows the liability they would take on if they even suggested using these goggles without proper testing, and so they put that warning there.

I expect these goggles are still better than other options coming out of china, but I don't know, and cannot vouch for it. I think it's asinine for someone to promote them as a GOOD option when they themselves have not tested them, and they have not been tested by anyone else in years.

Just ordered two pairs of these glasses from amazon after reading Infinitus's review of them that he posted a while back. Well, I am ordering a 1W blue laser from o-like ($59.99) and of course first thing I thought of was eye safety but didn't want to spend to much, and after reading his review on them, I saw that these glasses were good for blocking out blue laser light, so I went ahead and ordered. Well they came in today and something caught my attention, the packaging says that these glasses block over 99.9% of UVA 315-385nm, 99.9% of UVB 285-315nm, and 99.9% of UVC 200-285nm. The laser I'm getting is rated at 440-445nm. So I'm not sure if they still block out blue laser light or if the company changed the dye of the glasses making them useless for cheap eye safety.

Just ordered two pairs of these glasses from amazon after reading Infinitus's review of them that he posted a while back. Well, I am ordering a 1W blue laser from o-like ($59.99) and of course first thing I thought of was eye safety but didn't want to spend to much, and after reading his review on them, I saw that these glasses were good for blocking out blue laser light, so I went ahead and ordered. Well they came in today and something caught my attention, the packaging says that these glasses block over 99.9% of UVA 315-385nm, 99.9% of UVB 285-315nm, and 99.9% of UVC 200-285nm. The laser I'm getting is rated at 440-445nm. So I'm not sure if they still block out blue laser light or if the company changed the dye of the glasses making them useless for cheap eye safety.

No don't worry about it, they always blocked UV and said that on the box, I have some from long ago and still have the box they came in, and it says the same thing on the box, they were always made to block UV. You will see when you put them on and turn on your blue laser that you can't see the beam and can easily look at the dot and you won't see any blue.

Alan

No don't worry about it, they always blocked UV and said that on the box, I have some from long ago and still have the box they came in, and it says the same thing on the box, they were always made to block UV. You will see when you put them on and turn on your blue laser that you can't see the beam and can easily look at the dot and you won't see any blue.

Alan
Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure my eyes are safe, especially it being my first 1W blue.