Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cheap projector

The one you've linked is moving dots. Nothing else. If you want to make your own images, you need to spend a lot more. What's your budget?

Honesty there are other lasers I'd probably choose over a more expensive projector. I have about $475 budged till next August for hobby stuff so I'm not gonna throw it all away here. Good to know it's just moving dots so I don't buy it. Thanks Cyp

Last edited:

diachi

Honesty there are other lasers I'd probably choose over a more expensive projector. I have about $475 budged till next August for hobby stuff so I'm not gonna throw it all away here. Good to know it's just moving dots so I don't buy it. Thanks Cyp

You could build your own, although by this point it's probably cheaper just to buy one direct from China already built...

$475 isn't going to buy you much though, that'll get you an entry level projector without a controller. Can always do a DIY sound card controller but that limits your options.

Grix

The Laserdock is very good value, but it may be a little bit limited if you want to upgrade in the future due to the built in DAC and no ILDA port. But if you only have $475 it might be the best choice.

If you don't want to go that route, aliexpress lists a lot of cheap projectors. You want one with an ILDA input, and preferably analog color modulation (means the colors can vary their intensity instead of just turn on/off). Here's a good search query:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal..._id=SB_20161116021935&needQuery=n&groupsort=1

The build quality of those bottom-of-the-barrel projectors are bad, you get what you pay for. You will need a DAC in addition, I will be shameless and plug my own product, the Helios: Helios Laser DAC - Projects
It is the cheapest DAC around I believe. It currently supports my own laser show editor, LasershowGen, which is also very cheap, but other software like Spaghe*ti, LSX and Maxwell will add support too, soon.

Last edited:

diachi

The Laserdock is very good value, but it may be a little bit limited if you want to upgrade in the future due to the built in DAC and no ILDA port. But if you only have $475 it might be the best choice.

If you don't want to go that route, aliexpress lists a lot of cheap projectors. You want one with an ILDA input, and preferably analog color modulation (means the colors can vary their intensity instead of just turn on/off). Here's a good search query:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal..._id=SB_20161116021935&needQuery=n&groupsort=1

The build quality of those bottom-of-the-barrel projectors are bad, you get what you pay for. You will need a DAC in addition, I will be shameless and plug my own product, the Helios: Helios Laser DAC - Projects
It is the cheapest DAC around I believe. It currently supports my own laser show editor, LasershowGen, which is also very cheap, but other software like Spaghe*ti, LSX and Maxwell will add support too, soon.

Ooooh I forgot about that DAC! That makes doing a low end projector for that sort of budget possible, especially when there's compatibility for more software. :D That said, I wouldn't believe all the specs on those cheap China projectors - especially not scan rate, I'd be surprised if any of them could manage any sort of remotely complex graphics well.

Didn't suggest the LaserDock because there's no ILDA. :beer:

Grix

Ooooh I forgot about that DAC! That makes doing a low end projector for that sort of budget possible, especially when there's compatibility for more software. :D That said, I wouldn't believe all the specs on those cheap China projectors - especially not scan rate, I'd be surprised if any of them could manage any sort of remotely complex graphics well.

Didn't suggest the LaserDock because there's no ILDA. :beer:

Yeah indeed most of those projectors have underspec lasers and scanners equivalent to like 12 kpps. But for a cheap starter system they are okay I think. I actually have this one personally: Emma EM-RGB234, it's okay, it handles beamshows and simple graphics just fine, and the lasers are strong enough to be impressive with enough smoke. Only problem is that the green module actually failed after about 5 hours of operation, but luckily the company was honest enough to send me a replacement. Also the large size and fan noise can be a bit annoying, but there are some newer cases that are smaller and almost fanless, like the Laserdock, or this one which seems to use the same case but with an ILDA port instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1wRGB-laser-light-stgae-laser-projector/32731307771.html

Last edited:

94Z28

I'm interested in some PJ also because I have to wave my lasers around to make a show or use some filters for stars..

Thanks for heads up, bUT where's best supply to make a PJ from parts and use your DAC?

diachi

I'm interested in some PJ also because I have to wave my lasers around to make a show or use some filters for stars..

Thanks for heads up, bUT where's best supply to make a PJ from parts and use your DAC?

You'll likely need to shop at a few places for all of the components, and there are several places for each of those.

I'm a fan of Lasershow Parts or Stanwax Laser entertainment laser services, parts & laser projectors. for optics mounts, scanners and dichros (have some other optics and components too). Pretty sure Stanwax has a new driver coming out soon. Haven't dealt with Opt Lasers personally, but they're apparently good for components too.

You also need a case and something rigid to mount it all on, lots of options there. I generally suggest >5mm Aluminum plate for the base plate.

Perhaps look through some of the older threads in this section, there should be some build threads that'll give you an idea of what goes into DIYing. :)

I give up till my funds are sufficient. No need to waste money on low end stuff. Thanks guys.