Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap eBay saftey goggles for 200mW red laser?

tommyokie

Hey,
I recently bought a 650nm, 200mW laser from Sanwu Lasers.
I didn't want to spend a fortune on the safety goggles since I only spent $20 on the laser, so I got some cheap ones from ebay. (which I would have liked to include the link to, but this forum doesn't allow that until you pass 20 posts) The name of the listing is "OD4+ Laser Safety Glasses For 635nm-650nm Red Diode Module Protective Goggles"

Since the laser is fairly low power, these glasses should work, right? I mean, they fit the 650nm and claim to be OD4+.
I wasn't able to see any dot on the wall when I shone the laser through the glasses. However, when I try burning something with the laser, I am able to still see the dot through the glasses.

Will my eyes be ok with these, or do I have to spend the extra $40 on an eagle pair?

gazer101

If you have an LPM you can empirically determine the answer to your question (if it reads <1mW with the goggles in front of the beam you should be ok).

But if you don't have one either get the goggles tested or buy known good goggles (Eagle Pair from SL)

tommyokie

I don't have an LPM... Before I spend $45, is there anyone that has tested a pair of the Chinese ebay glasses with one before?

Encap

No way of knowing about the glasses you have without an LPM to test that pair in particular. How much better than nothing is impossible to determine without testing the pair you have.
There is little, if any, quality control and no certification of capability--they vary widely.
Dye lots change and there is NO guarentee of consistancy.

You will need a different Eagle Pair than the 190m to 540nm shown above for 650nm red, see: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Ea...nm_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_7862077.aspx

Last edited:

dreaming

Hey,
I recently bought a 650nm, 200mW laser from Sanwu Lasers.
I didn't want to spend a fortune on the safety goggles since I only spent $20 on the laser, so I got some cheap ones from ebay. (which I would have liked to include the link to, but this forum doesn't allow that until you pass 20 posts) The name of the listing is "OD4+ Laser Safety Glasses For 635nm-650nm Red Diode Module Protective Goggles"

Since the laser is fairly low power, these glasses should work, right? I mean, they fit the 650nm and claim to be OD4+.
I wasn't able to see any dot on the wall when I shone the laser through the glasses. However, when I try burning something with the laser, I am able to still see the dot through the glasses.

Will my eyes be ok with these, or do I have to spend the extra $40 on an eagle pair?
Just a heads up, with a 200mw 650nm you may not always be able to see the dot through cheap ebay glasses. I can't with mine unless I'm burning certain colors, such as something green colored. You can see the dot on a green leaf but not on a brown leaf, and not on most cardboard or blue or black tape, for example. This means you may not always be able to focus your laser for burning without removing the glasses, which is unsafe.

I haven't tested this with Eagle Pair yet, can test them within a week, probably, as I ordered some last month. Will update here if I remember.

Last edited:
WELCOME Tommy.
forget the cost of the laser---how much are your eyes worth??
Good one are a great investment.
They are easy to sell later and you will get back most of your investment.
Good advice from all posting here-_

FYI w/o eye protection you will be risking a lot of find it impossible when:

Measuring dot size to know your divergence.
Aiming your 'dot' to fit correctly on the sensor of a LPM .
Alignment on mirrors -- like bounce or those inside a projector.
Just to name three.
You really need protection before you buy another laser..

How are laser glasses like seat belts??
Too late to use AFTER an accident.

SAFETY here is #1... and always will be IMHO.