Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap diode drivers.

I've done that for LED's, never did so with a laser diode. Good question, I've never seen that asked.

Edit: I just do the unthinkable according to many, turn the current adjustment on a CC driver all of the way down, then while monitoring the laser diode output set it at the power out I want from it. That is a poor way of doing it, I've heard some say the noise from the pot moving can kill a diode, but I've never had one die from that. Maybe it isn't such a bad way if you have a laser power meter. I use a lab CC power supply when doing so, so can see the input current, but that isn't necessarily what the diode sees, with a boost driver, it will show a much different amount of current.

Last edited:

That is the way I setup many 532nm DPSS laser modules. It seemed like a much faster way than disconnecting the driver and setting it for a specific current. I always heat sunk the output device on the driver first and put the module in a heat sink, as well, before setting them up.

reloader45

Hello,

I also set some Drivers this way. I think, it is a save way, if Driver and Laser Diode fit together.
It will not work, if you use a high power Driver with a 200 mA Diode.
For current setting i use this nice multimeter: https://www.amazon.de/Signstek-Hand...words=clamp+multimeter&qid=1568903581&sr=8-10

So no desoldering is needed. Only once i nearly ruined a Diode, when i forgot to switch from AC to DC current measurment. (the multimeter always starts in die AC mode)

best regards

Edgar

Yup, It works. Turns out I didn't even need a dummy load. I was, for some reason, completely obvious to the fact the driver's MAX output is 800mA, so the only thing I had to do Is crank that thing up all the way, and it works. And let me tell you, the divergence is absolutely terrible. But that's not a big problem since I ordered a proper lens. Overall, I'm happy with this diode.

I wondered what you meant by "proper lens" These things are always bad IMO.

Hello,

I also set some Drivers this way. I think, it is a save way, if Driver and Laser Diode fit together.
It will not work, if you use a high power Driver with a 200 mA Diode.
For current setting i use this nice multimeter: https://www.amazon.de/Signstek-Handheld-Strommesszange-Widerstand-Kapazität/dp/B06XSMDMYV/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=clamp+multimeter&qid=1568903581&sr=8-10

So no desoldering is needed. Only once i nearly ruined a Diode, when i forgot to switch from AC to DC current measurment. (the multimeter always starts in die AC mode)

best regards

Edgar

Those clamp meters dont really have the resolution for measuring low currents. I have several high end flukes with AC/DC capabilities, even have a small one specifically made for smaller gauge wire. Wire angle needs to be perpendicular to the CT, wire needs centered, wide variance occurs even when measuring several amps if wire isn't placed right. Good for gauging 10s of amps and above but not mA.