Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chat with a WL employee joe.

USAbro

Just saying, I bet if someone was given $1,000,000 to build one for under $100, they would find a way!

ARG

Just saying, I bet if someone was given $1,000,000 to build one for under $100, they would find a way!

Yeah, with a million dollars they could purchase the parts in bulk to get the price down :crackup:
Applies to a lot of things.

USAbro

No, they don't get the 1 million until the build it for 100.

The $1,000,000 is the prize for completion.

Edit: They can't use the money to build the laser, the money is motivation to build it for cheap. I bet someone could do it.

Last edited:

3Pig

If there was big money involved WL would have already done it.

USAbro

Cool, so I guess there not here to serve the customer. Complete idiots that is.

Encap

Am sure WL monitors LPF regularly, no need to invite them---there is a long history between WL and LPF that you could not possiblly be aware of.

No need to go from bad to worse with imaginings.

473nm is not worth the trouble to do but even if f WL was able to bulid one for $100 they would sell it for $600 so...

Also why bother making tempermental and difficult to make 473nm blue when they can sell tens of thousands of 445nm blue at very high inflated markup retail prices that relatively unskilled can make with an hour or two of training.

On a more rational and reality based note, 473nm lasers are available:
see: PL 473nm 5-30
and
see: PL-E Pro DPSS 473nm Blue Laser

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of 473s (usually lab) sold on the classifieds for under $100. Have a look, I'm sure the threads are still there.

Edit: here's one. Lab, 473, cheap. http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sold-bw-tek-45mw-473nm-lab-laser-83946.html

don't really count for this purpose.

Exactly. You are counting old surplus, half working (or not working) lab lasers to handhelds. Plus, the materials for said surplus lab lasers cost nowhere NEAR 100$.

I meant nothing bad about the forums, just comparing there response time. The forum members provide conversation style info with more information to be given.

I will humbly say, I no nothing about the 473 process, I just know they're expensive. However no need to pummel me. I asked them. It was a suggestion. And I'm sure one can be built for under $100. They would need microscopic profit margins and very low powered laser. TMO.

Let's get along. If you would like to correct what I said, do it, but do it nicely without shoving me down.

What are you on about? Its called a discussion. AAnd no, a 473 cannot be built under 100$. Good luck getting the crystal set alone for under 100$, then you have mirrors, lenses, the diode, driver, housing...Yea, not happening.

No, they don't get the 1 million until the build it for 100.

The $1,000,000 is the prize for completion.

Edit: They can't use the money to build the laser, the money is motivation to build it for cheap. I bet someone could do it.

Again, no, they could not. Cost of materials.

USAbro

You guys I guess are right. Hopefully in the future we will see some direct diode sky blue diodes.

I'm tired of arguing you win.

Last edited:
You guys I guess are right. Hopefully in the future we will see some direct diode sky blue diodes.

473nm & 488nm diodes do exist, but their EXTREMELY high prices keep them from being used by hobbyists.

-Alex

Last edited:
That one is extra expensive because it is fiber coupled.

There used to be some roaming for <$400 but AFAIK they are gone.

Another option is to overdrive a $200 NDB7675 - it can reach 473nm at high currents. Not healthy for the diode, but better than expending $400 on a 10mW ;)