Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

changing your vehicle's oil? My rant:(

Who changes their own oil anymore?
It's been years since I last changed my own oil. I used to do it all the time before I had my kids.

So we have 2 cars. Both were way over due for a oil change. So I got the bright idea of saving money, and doing both my self.

Going buy late 1990's prices ''the last time I changed oil'' I figured I could do both for under $30. Ok so prices have changed just a bit. I spent $44. Two filters, and I figured 9 quarts of oil. We have 6 and a 4 cylinder vehicle.
So at this point I'm not doing as well as I thought ,price wise.
The best deal in our area for a oil change today, was $26 total so for 2 cars $52. So I only saved $8:(

geting started,
Either we have really sporty cars, that hug the ground. Or I have gotten FAT,
because I cant fit under either car:yabbem:
Normally you can squeeze yourself enough to at least get to the drain plug.

So I had to jack up both cars. well I don't have a nice floor jack. "Now I remember why I always did my oil changes at my Dad's house. He had a floor jack."
Using the spare tire jack sucked, and was kinda scary.

not so fun
Both drain plugs were put on way to tight, probably by quick change using a pneumatic wrench.
I had to get a pipe to put over my wrench to get more leverage.

On top of that I had a lot of trouble with one of the filters that was also put on way to tight. I had to use channel locks. Took almost 10 minutes for this one filter. Now I'm pissed at who ever put the dang filter on so tight:gun:

Ok so
I'm dirty, I'm sweaty and fustrated. I got two big stains on my driveway.
Including the trip to the store, it took almost 3 hours to save $8.
Plus I have almost 2 gallons of used motor oil that I have to go drop off somewhere.

I'm sure if I had a big garage and proper tools It might not be so bad. Until then, I'm going to quick lube on coupon day.

Last edited:

I change my own oil and do all my own work on my car. My oil changes cost 60 bucks for oil and filter and I do probably 3 changes a year. Oil changes are the most important maintenance you can do for a car.

Yep I do my own also but I have a suburban so it's not a problem to get under it ;)
and if you put a little oil on the rubber gasket first your oil filter will come off pretty easy.
and I take the used oil to the trash transfer station when I take my trash, they have a drum there to pour your used oil in.

Peace All...

ferd19

I change my own oil as well w/ no need for a jack since my truck is high enough. I do it b/c i like to maintain it w/o having somebody else doing it for me. though w/ newer cars, it seems to be getting increasingly more difficult since there's less space than that of an old vehicle under the hood. My truck is 26 years old and there's soo much room in the engine bay (though maybe it may be from the 2.4L 4 cylinder) compared to what i have seen in newer vehicles w/ all the complex systems they hold now. The oil filter may be in a very small and tight space in some of them, so getting it out may be a hassle for many

If you don't have an oil filter spanner wrench, the alternative I have used in the distant past was to poke a screwdriver into the filter and start a turn. It works but it's also messy. Ok, where was that coupon ? :thinking:

Last edited:

v33

I used to do it myself and enjoyed it but these days it's jut faster and cheaper to have Costco do it while I'm shopping.

You can drop the old oil off where you bought the new oil. Should be no charge.

My car only takes 3 quarts, and the filter is ~$4, so its cheaper to do it myself.

I've been working on my cars for years.. I've found that I can get premium high-mileage oil and filter for around the same price as the shops charge for their cheapest oil and filter.

Any time I find that a filter is on too tight, I get a large sheet of cardboard and stick it under the car. Then I get a looong screwdriver (the longer the better as long as there's room for it) and a hammer and tap the screwdriver into the filter body. This will release a lot of oil, which is why I start with the cardboard. Then I use the screwdriver handle to break the filter loose.

v33

I have an old tool for removing filters ths is jus a leather trap in a loop on a hinged handle. It can grab just about any filter and not slip off. I've also had to impale the odd filter with a screwdriver. My old Fiat comes to mind...

I would get some jack stands for added safety. Just changed my oil last week. 4 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic for $40, man they sure know how to rip people for oil. Then we give them the old oil so they can just filter it and resell it to us, and the cycle continues.. I'd rather change my own oil, not so much to save money, but to get the oil and parts I want, and to make sure it's done right.

I do a lot of my own maintinance since I have my Cobra, my wife and I's Cougar, and her other daily driver.

Instead of jacking the car up I drive onto some concrete step stones 12"x12" to give me some added clearance for the Cobra. Everything else is high enough :p

Tools are the trick and a little experience never hurts but I usually spend about $40~60 a vehicle for oil and filter, considering 2 of them are V8s and one V6.

I'm very particular about the work that is performed on my vehicles so I prefer to do it myself. I only go to garages or tires places because I don't have the certain equipment :(

i do my own oil also... i have an mb. so the dealer charges 250. and i don't trust the local grease monkey after they forgot to tighten my drain plug and my tranny blew.

my car takes 2 gallons of oil and costs me about 85 bucks and filter is 15. luckily for me, my filter is literally on top of the engine and is hand tight. there is a device for my specific car that sucks the oil out through the top so you don't have to go underneath. i haven't bought one yet because i have a forlift at work so access has never been a prob. i also do my own brakes.

michael.

Thats just the thing, it seems like nobody at those shops care enough to even do their job right...

Thats really cool about the oil extractor. :D I designed a transmission fluid exchanger awhile back.

I pretty much do everything from machining and building my motors to replacing the light bulbs. I enjoy doing it though also so it's a little different than somebody that just needs an oil change.

The only thing I have to rant about is the cost of parts, and tools lol :)

Whoa 2 Gallons! :eek:

Last edited:
I've always done it myself, peace of mind in knowing it was done right. Besides, how many quick lube places have you seen will go the extra, and correct method of pre lubing the oil filter with oil before they install it? :thinking:

yeah 2 gallons. but the up side is that i get about 15,000 miles before my car tells me i need a change. and it uses a weird oil that is hard to find. 0-40.

michael.