Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Capacitor

Yeah, I have touched the internals of disposable cameras at 330v many times, its quite a shock but nothing to bad to be honist, it does always seem to break the board however, even with the smallest spark, I have broken 3 trying to scavange the board, any idea how I can get it out without breaking it? I try to discharge it but the spark ruins it.

I have never killed a board while discharging the cap. You could try using a 1k ohm resistor to discharge it more slowly. I would suggest 1/2 watt or higher. The real danger in these caps and the circuits that charge them is taking a discharge from one hand to the other, the current then travels across the heart.

Benm

You can get a reasonably bad jolt from camera flashes indeed - not considered potentially fatal for those single use small flases, but painful enough to avoid repeating the experience :D

For things like tasers and electric flysquatters the process is 2 stage. It first charges a capacitor with a circuit like that in a camera, and then there is a second transformer that ramps it voltage up to idiotic levels. I've seen simple spark gaps used to switch the second stage, and they seem to work fine for the flysquatter.

I have even constructed a few capacitors for various projects. Construction varied from plate glass and aluminum foil to layers of mylar and metalized mylar.

Everone has pretty much covered it but I'm going to say it again, BE CARFUL WHAT YOU PLAN ON DOING CAN BE DEADLY :GUN: