Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can't Upload Sketch to Arduino

That just about sums up my problem.

I have a Duemilanove board, and I'm just trying to upload a small sample (example) sketch for the first time. I'm been having a devil of a time trying to get this thing up and running, and once I finally get the driver installed, It won't let me upload because

"Serial port 'COM1' not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?"

I go to the tools menu to check things out and the Serial Port option to float over is faded out, I can't even touch it.

I went to the arduino help page and followed their instructions by resetting the board, and reloading the IDE with the board plugged in, but nothing changes.

I'm an arduino newb, and all I want right now is to blink a little LED. Please help if you can!

-Tyler

Things

Go to control panel and look into device manager, and see if there is a option for COM ports. The Arduino _SHOULD_ be under there. If it's not, look under "Universal Serial Bus" and see if you can see it there (USB Serial Device I think), or if it says unknown device.

Unknown device is Windows' way of saying it's broken.

Also try restarting your computer with it plugged in. What OS do you use? You usually don't have to install any drivers.

Also, the 2 orange LED's near the USB plug, what do they do when you plug it in?

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks Things! :)

Under control Panel, I found the USBtoSerial converter 'port' (if you will) and it said the driver was missing or needed updating.

So... I went to 'update driver', and reinstalled the driver that I did before. It was already highlighted for some reason, so it must've been a Windows 7 goof.

My LED is blinking away now! Thanks for helping me get started!