Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can the host get any smaller??

daguin

no , no lasing. maybe its my meter?
its an old fluke 8025B.
it reads batteries just fine .. and the continuity function works.. checked the fuses and they are good.

So it reads voltage and a short, but no current?

If it is not lighting up at all, then current is not getting through your DMM (or you are not getting connection).

If you can make it in the late afternoon, we can look at it here.

thats great!

but does it use any driver at all?
and what kinda of swith does it have (or any)?

Read the whole thread ;)

Peace,
dave

Ok I will try to get out of my place about 4 - 4:30.

i figure i should also bring cash, in case your selling something :p

Last edited:

daguin

Ok I will try to get out of my place about 4 - 4:30.

i figure i should also bring cash, in cash your selling something :p

*OUCH* That is the middle of rush hour. I'm home now if you can get away sooner

I've almost always got some project going ;)

I can fix you up with a nice argon for less with no shipping to pay. ;)

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Asherz

That looks great, I think I might give this ago. since it'll be pretty cheap with no driver.

Can I ask how you set-up the diode correctly so that you can just pop the battery in without it just touching all the pins, cheers :)

Ok so i went out and got a new meter. This one works and it shows to be pulling 596.6ma.

Daguin , looks like i may need to postpone our rendez vous.

Last edited:

daguin

Ok so i went out and got a new meter. This one works and it shows to be pulling 596.6ma.

Daguin , looks like i may need to postpone our rendez vous.

<shakes head> 596mA and still burning. I need to push one of my LCC's more :eg:

Hopefully I will see you Monday. Since it is just the pen lasers now, if you want, you can just mail them to me. Remember to either bring or send the batteries as well.

I did not take your package to the post office with me because I was expecting to see you. Do you want me to mail it or hold onto it?

Peace,
dave

It peaked at 602ma and settled at 596.6 .

I will bring the pens and the batts and ill pick up the parts on Monday if thats ok.

But i do have a question. Does the battery push the mA into the diode or does the diode take what it needs from the batt. Reason i want to make a driverless version with a 18650.

I can fix you up with a nice argon for less with no shipping to pay. ;)

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

But i do have a question. Does the battery push the mA into the diode or does the diode take what it needs from the batt. Reason i want to make a driverless version with a 18650.

Most 18650's have a rating of 2000mAh or higher. That's gonna kill the diode almost instantly with no driver.

Last edited:
Ive tried 3 different types.. an ultrafire, a superfire and a trustfire.. all similar.

I dont have an answer myself.. im just looking for one .

daguin

It peaked at 602ma and settled at 596.6 .

I will bring the pens and the batts and ill pick up the parts on Monday if thats ok.

I am the wrong person to ask this question. However, I believe that current is controlled by resistance. That's why we need the test loads. As much current as is available will flow until the resistance overcomes that pressure. Without a driver, the battery sends as much current as it has to the diode.

I do not know how much current is available in an 18650. We believed that the current from a CR123 would kill the diode. That, apparently, is not always the case with the LCC diode.

In answer to your question, I believe the battery gives whatever is available. If it exceeds the limit of the diode, the diode will fail.

Peace,
dave

Slipstream;

Any decent #18650 WILL easily kill the diode (5 amps or more).

For a simple driver, try a 2.2 ohm 1 watt resistor in series with the #18650.

Measure the current to see the result (should be ~550ma).

LarryDFW

Last edited: