Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can sunglasses and ski goggles be substitute laser glasses?

Can someone with one of those fancy power measuring gizmos try this out for me?

With a 50mw laser, shine the beam onto the little device that measures the power. Then place in front of the beam a pair of sunglasses, ski goggles, and some green laser glasses. Thanks

I will be getting a pair of Rayfoss glasses when My laser gets here, as it's included. But for the moment, I have nothing to wear playing with my old 50mw.

Yessir. I have seen that vid, but that was with way more powerful lasers. 180 and 250 red I think? The 180 let in 20mW of energy, so then how much would a 50 let in? No way of me really knowing. But it seems that yes, it would be alright. Just want to be sure

LSRFAQ

Yessir. I have seen that vid, but that was with way more powerful lasers. 180 and 250 red I think? The 180 let in 20mW of energy, so then how much would a 50 let in? No way of me really knowing. But it seems that yes, it would be alright. Just want to be sure

NO, nO, NO, and NYET. That is NO in 4 different languages.

None of the common home depot or doctors office lenses are worth trusting your eyes to. This horse has been beat to death here. There is no way that you can assume that the lenses at one guys house half a planet away are the same as you have in front of you.

Since there are severe quality control issues in handheld lasers, you can not assume your laser is the rated power, either, Many are 100% over the rating.

Common glasses such as welding glasses and sun glasses DO NOT in 99% of the cases have enough optical density to protect you.

Please get some real goggles with a known OD rating. Don't do the common shop goggles thing. Don't do the theatrical gel thing, it has pitfalls that are not obvious. Please do not assume that because the optical power is reduced by a factor of just ten that a pair of glasses is a improvement in safety, IT IS NOT.

Please do not fall into the trap that Oh, its only 20 mW, I'm safe. Please do NOT believe everything you see on Youtube. Anything less then OD3 is a waste of time.

Please do NOT continue the myth that common glasses are decent safety goggles.

Steve

Last edited:
but, on the flip side, 20mw in your eye is a lot better than 180mw. so at least until you can get some real goggles ASAP, it wouldnt hurt to wear the sunglasses. just be real careful about where you point the laser, obviously

but, on the flip side, 20mw in your eye is a lot better than 180mw. so at least until you can get some real goggles ASAP, it wouldnt hurt to wear the sunglasses. just be real careful about where you point the laser, obviously

Sort of like getting shot by a .22 is better than a .357 :thinking:

Wearing sunglasses is not safe at all..... pupils dilate allowing more of the beam to enter... Dude NO!

As it has been said before, the simple answer is no. :horse:

alright, but the guy who started the thread says he has nothing to wear when playing with his 50mw laser until he gets his glasses. i doubt he will stop using the laser altogether until the glasses arrive, so he could at least be as protected as possible until then.

True, However by thinking He might get SOME protection from the Sun Glasses He will not be as careful. A false assumption can lead to permanent vision loss.

I'm not coming down on You, But You can never be too safe.