Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can lower than rated Amps hurt the diode?

Hey guys, i want to use my NUGM02 1W+ attached on a tripod for taking leveling measurings in distance. That means it will have to stay on for about a minute some times. The recommended current of the seller is 1.7A max. It will sit on a custom host with, i believe, a serious amount of cooling surface. I wonder if it is possible to make it work with an 1A driver, to save some heat? Could this be beneficial for longer on times or could the less amps hurt the diode?
I 'd really appreciate your answers guys, Alex!

FAP

Also, running the diode at a lower temperature (due to reduced current) will increase the life of the device. As a general rule, every 10 degrees C. of temperature increase reduces the amount of run time before failure by half. Many laser diodes are rated to run from 10,000 to 20,000 hours at their rated temperatures, 20-25 C. is a fairly common range, but some of our multimode laser diodes can be run at much higher temperatures and still have 10,000 hours of expected life. You can find the rated temperature and life in the data sheet, if it can be obtained for your diode.

@FAP thank for your advice! I ll try to balance between my needs in terms of beam power and the reduced current! I hope it will run i want to!

Reactions: FAP
yes
that makes sense--BUT I was not 100% sure--good and great answer.