Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I use this diode in a burning laser?

HIMNL9

In a pointer ? ..... 808nm is infrared, just barely dim red point visible, also focused ..... if you want to build something like a pointer for burn, then yes (with goggles, 1W of IR is extremely dangerous for the eyes !!), but for a visible pointer, nothing to do, sorry.

1W of IR...barely visible, yet capable of blinding you in an instant, with only a random reflection.

I'm going to have to say that's a bad idea for a first laser. Go for a red or violet to start off with.

And the description doesn't mention what size it is. It could at this power be a 9mm can which is more complicated to instal. Also, such a diode produces lots of extra heat, thus it will require a big heatsink, and a special driver to get the 1.3A needed which makes such a build quite complicated. Like pullbagdead said, you should go with a simple kit...

Go take a look at Modwerx Home

nehock

I have built a dvd-rw laser from a dvd drivein the past and I am getting basically the same results from my new setup - which contains -

1 808nm 1000mw High Power Laser Diode
1 1W 445nm blue laser diode driver / 405nm laser driver by AixiZ
1 Aixiz 12x30mm Laser Module Case Blank

I connected everything up correctly and it works but with two NEW AA batteries it has a very dim beam that diverges rather quickly - installed inside the aixiz module. It is very difficult to get it to burn black electrical tape - if at all - There is very little heat generated from the diode or driver.

If I connect 3 AA Batteries for 4.5V which is a little higher than the recommended voltage for the driver I get a slightly brighter beam that burns black tape fine and I can get it to a very small point that will burn through a couple of layers of the tape.

Now I am comparing this to the videos on youtube

1W / 1000mW 808nm laser cutting match in half! - YouTube
1W / 1000mW 808nm laser melting plastic - YouTube
1W 808nm Laser Diode burning plastic , cardboard and a match - YouTube
Homemade 1W laser engraver - YouTube

The point is that I can only burn black plastic items. These videos are showing burning white objects / wood / and engraving different items that i don't think my setup is capable of.

I also noticed that my beam is dark red and the videos show a brighter colored beam - almost violet in color.
Did I do something wrong with my setup?? What do I need to get 1W of power out of this?

DrSid

STOP right now !

You totally should not be watching the beam, much less the dot. While it might LOOK dim, it is bright as hell and it is KILLING your EYES. Don't turn IR (or any 1W) laser without goggles on.

The beam is bright on the videos because silicon based cameras see it like this. They are much more sensitive to IR light. Still even such cameras see only fraction of it.

It will never look like this to human eye. Human eye sees under 1% of 808nm. But the rest is there, entering your eye, being focused on retina, and damaging it. Without any pain or immediate sensations. Still damaged retina cells will never grow back.

Trying to burn white objects is worst thing to try, as they will reflect most of the light back.

If you want to burn something into that eyes of yours, burn in these pictures:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469-2.html#post1004511

Last edited: