Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I use 3D glasses as temp goggles?

MojoLA

Can anyone tell me for sure - if the red lens of the 3D glasses completely blocks the green dot from being visible on a wall, is it protecting my eye?

Morgan

It's not just the green that you need to worry about. Although the divergence of the IR that is likely output by your laser as well will be poor, there is no way for you to tell just now, (I'm assuming no LPM?), how much is present. The red filter is possibly passing the IR almost unfiltered. It's a matter of weighing up the risks and my advice would be to not risk it at all. Looking at beams should be fine but a reflection from a window, etc, specular reflection up close whilst burning, are not things I would trust to a pair of 3D glasses. Wait until you have the proper protection. The fact is, no-one can tell you anything about the pair of 3D glasses you actually have with any accuracy at all. No matter how well intentioned.

I'm just giving you the advice you asked for and that is merely my opinion based on what I know. Any risk you decide to take is your business of course.

M
:)

Are you an eye doctor of some sort....
There must be about a Gazillion posts emphasizing the use
of goggles when using high powered Lasers...
DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THEM....

I wear a Motorcycle Helmet... not to be able to ride my Bike...
but because I can not guarantee to a certainty that I will not
have an accident that may crush by skull....

Can you guarantee to a certainty that you will not have an
accident and get a direct hit to your eye
(or anyone else's eyes)
while using your 1000mW Laser...

If the answer is no.... then wear some safety goggles or you
may be shopping for a white cane and a seeing eye dog....

It really is that simple....
Then again.... they are not my eyes...

Jerry

Can anyone tell me for sure - if the red lens of the 3D glasses completely blocks the green dot from being visible on a wall, is it protecting my eye?
NO Protection is given from 3d glasses.

Buy certified shades.
-greg

Last edited:

Morgan

^Great link... +1 for topicality, (I just made that word up!)

M

MojoLA

Ok, the point about lack of protection from infra red is a good one. That's the sort of insight I was looking for.

Although I have to admit, its pretty cool how I can shine this intensely bright laser through the red glasses - which objectively are still very transparent - and the dot just disappears.

Morgan

Look at the surface of the filter from the opposite side you're shining the laser at, (not directly in line with the laser of course). If it's distorting, it's not a good sign for protection!

M

Best idea is to just wait until your real goggles come in. If you HAVE to use the laser before that, red film is better than nothing. If no green gets through, that means that it will block green. The problem isn't whether or not it blocks it, though; the problem is, for how long. You might be sitting there with a green reflection going straight into your eye and not see it until a second later, when it burns through the film.

They're your eyes, we're not gonna tell you what to do with them. If you take all necessary precautions, theoretically you shouldn't even need goggles. But we are only human, and accidents happen to anybody.

Edit: and don't think that just because it lasts x seconds when shining it directly through the film will mean that it will last x seconds no matter what. Reflections can concentrate light as well as scatter it.

MojoLA

I basically wanted to try lighting a match (my first time) but the reflected light from the "dot" was just too bright to look at comfortably.

Under those conditions, the red lens worked very well. There was nothing to reflect the light into the lens as it was (more or less) a controlled experiment.