Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can anyone explain the physics here?

Guy running this claims the laser is powerful enough to vaporize an object which somehow makes it "float" on top of the laser beam itself. The paper didn't even appear to be burned when he removed it. :thinking:

Most powerful laser ever. - YouTube

Edit: Nvmnd, he's playing tricks. Good illusion though I guess.

Last edited:

ARG

"Most powerful laser" and he thinks it's a handheld? :crackup:

Any way, just read the comments. It's just some string holding the paper up.

Last edited:

Things

Closest to actually doing this in reality without string is called "optical trapping", it's used for microscopic tweezers.

If you have a decent power laser, get a felt tip marker and sit in a closed off room with as little airflow as possible, and burn the felt tip in the focal point, sometimes you'll get a little floating orb of particles stuck in the beam:

Copy%20of%20IMG_1013.JPG

Reactions: ARG

ARG

Closest to actually doing this in reality without string is called "optical trapping", it's used for microscopic tweezers.

If you have a decent power laser, get a felt tip marker and sit in a closed off room with as little airflow as possible, and burn the felt tip in the focal point, sometimes you'll get a little floating orb of particles stuck in the beam:

Neat! I had no idea you could do this with hobbyist lasers.

Here it is....

BTW... without reading the comments I found it strange
that he needed to lift the piece of paper over the beam
to remove it rather than just pulling it towards him...:whistle:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time through our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

D

Deleted member 16589

Guys read the comments he says "Its a trick" he even said he used a string

Meanwhile in real world,

Laser ablation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Laser ablation is when you hit a solid object with a laser so damn hard, that it gets converted into plasma, which being all super-hot and all, acts like propellant. It was in that what-if article months ago. Really awesome.

Though, I think you'd be able to tell if a piece of paper were converted into plasma. :D