Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can a "line" laser be converted to a "dot?"

MojoLA

I'm interested in these red lasers on ebay:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

650nm 50mW Industrial Red Laser Line Module Power Plug - eBay (item 180521164574 end time Oct-13-10 09:02:48 PDT)

But I noticed they project lines, not the standard "dot." Is this easy to modify? I thought to get a line you needed to put a filter or different lens in front of the laser.

Also, do you think these are designed for 100% duty cycle? Many of the auctions mention that the laser needs cooling, but these do not...

Thanks!

udanis

With the aixiz laser modules all you have to do is change out the lens. Pending you can remove the lens on those guys that's all you have to do.

The one says:
Remark: Dot or Cross line effection is also available.(Pls. request seller per your actual needs)

50mw isn't that much power so it's unlikely that they will get THAT hot, but that is just a general observation. It may not hold true with these

MojoLA

Yeah i'm not using them for cutting or burning, just to shine through a lumia wheel... I like that the 20mw has an adjustable stand, and that's even less likely to overheat... but a 20mw red will seem dim compared to a 15mw green!

MojoLA

Cute, Udanis, cute.

I actually have a small desktop fan that I aim at my lumia setup (wheel motor and laser) that keeps everything cool. I don't think either REQUIRES cooling, but they both get hot after a while and I noticed the batteries in the pointer def last longer when cooled...

Kulhu

If its the diode, a lens will still make it a dot. My 808 diode makes a line, but with the aixiz it makes a square dot.

udanis

If its the diode, a lens will still make it a dot. My 808 diode makes a line, but with the aixiz it makes a square dot.

Diodes can produce either a line/retangle (xj-140) or dot depending if they are multimode or single mode. Special lens can be used to produce lines and crosses.

But the standard lens on a aixiz will collimate the beam. If the diode is single mode a round dot will be produced, if not it will produce a rectangle/square like yours and the 445's

I highly doubt that *can't* be turned into a dot. More like they won't. It's just a matter of the unit using a lens or a grating.