Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can’t pick between a 0.7W 520nm and 1.4W 465nm

(So sorry if this is in a wrong section)

Hey there LPF! Haven’t been here in a long while. So yesterday my laser hobby started to come up more. And I currently own a Sanwu pocket 500mW 445nm. And it is starting to look a little...weak by now. So now I need a new(er) laser. And I found out that the Jetlasers PL-E Minis seem just perfect.
So here are my 2 choices.
1)The 520nm PL-E Mini with 700mW of power. (Around 250€)
2)The 46(5/2)nm PL-E Mini with 1.4W of power (~215€)

As my 0.5watter was burning stuff just fine, I don’t think I’ll need too much of extra burning power (but yeah, 1.4 watts would be a friggin huge upgrade in burning power :D). Which one should I be better off getting? And yes, I already ordered new safety goggles :) Also, I was concerned if there really is that big of a difference between 445nm and 465nm colours? Could anyone please send me a comparison picture :) ?

Thanks for help!
Silver

edit:fixed several typos

Last edited:

Nexgen

Hey, nice to see you back.
I would personally prefer 462 because of more beam visibility , due to shorter WL than 520. I have J/L 532nm 800mw and it peaks around 1200. Jetlasers are super responsible about their stuff.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
They'll both be a great choice, SSilver44. I have the J/L mini 465nm, and it's a sweet laser, very high quality.

For a rough idea of the color, see the link below, or look at my sig, I have both the 520 and 462 in it.

I do believe Nexgen may have the visibility of these two switched though, at the two powers that you mentioned, the beam of the 520nm should be about 3.04 times brighter than the 465nm.

See here: Relative perceived brightness calculator.

PS, glad to see that you have ordered safety goggles. :yh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! Will consider the points!

Last edited:
Actually, the 465nm one likely uses an NDB7675 diode which is much cheaper than the NDG700 diode. The 520nm will also be more visible. If you want the NDB7675 diode in a build I would get someone to put one together for you. It would likely have a larger heat sink and cost less too.

Last edited:
If you want the NDB7675 diode in a build I would get someone to put one together for you. It would likely have a larger heat sink and cost less too.

Yeah, I am considering that. The problem is, I haven’t been here in the forums for awhile now, so I am not quite sure who a newbie like me should ask for a build like this. If you could point me to a person (best if they are in the EU) it would be amazing.

Thanks!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You've got a few options with builders here in the US, but in the EU, the only member that I can think of right now would possibly be grainde, which would be a great choice since he has built many nice lasers in the past.
One other person who could possibly do a build for you would be ArcticDude, who would be another great choice.

Grainde is the only EU member that builds these for members. ArcticDude would be great, but he usually doesn't do this work for others. It wouldn't hurt to PM both and see what they say.

You've got a few options with builders here in the US, but in the EU, the only member that I can think of right now would possibly be grainde, which would be a great choice since he has built many nice lasers in the past.
One other person who could possibly do a build for you would be ArcticDude, who would be another great choice.

Grainde is the only EU member that builds these for members. ArcticDude would be great, but he usually doesn't do this work for others. It wouldn't hurt to PM both and see what they say.

I have +4W of 465-470nm that I could consider to let go... :whistle:

Last edited: