Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Calling all 473 owners.

I think it has something to do with the burn in time of your eyes... Remember we see a laser as a solid line when swept from side to side because the image is still burnt in our eyes. I know I get a similar effect with a green laser... when swept across a wall I can see a very faint greeny-pink colored line still remaining on the wall. I think this would look amplified at night when your pupils are dilated and at lower power.

Does it look like it is around the dot of the laser... or does it trail behind and fade away??

Just a guess :D -Adrian

mfo

I think it has something to do with the burn in time of your eyes... Remember we see a laser as a solid line when swept from side to side because the image is still burnt in our eyes. I know I get a similar effect with a green laser... when swept across a wall I can see a very faint greeny-pink colored line still remaining on the wall. I think this would look amplified at night when your pupils are dilated and at lower power.

Does it look like it is around the dot of the laser... or does it trail behind and fade away??

Just a guess :D -Adrian

It kind of looks like a very thin aura around the laser. It's weird, it's not always observable. I was just playing with my 473 a few mins ago.

Offtopic, but you have a pretty sweet signature there aryntha. Have you ever taken a pic of them all on together?

Offtopic, but you have a pretty sweet signature there aryntha. Have you ever taken a pic of them all on together?

Not yet, but I plan on it. I have to get a few more JDSU ArIon power supplies to run them all at once. But that is one of my planned projects, to get the whole deal running in a spectrum. :)

NOW THAT would be an AWESOME sight that I'd just HAVE to see PIX of. The COOL of COOLS !!!!!!!! rob

mfo

Threadjack.jpg

Seriously, thanks for the threadjack.

From the same surplus seller that Gooey_Gus got his from, (I believe it's the same one, "Silicon Valley Compucycle") - Required some work, tweaking and adjustment, to get it up and running; when I first got it, it was doing <1mW. Had to build my own cables as well.

But it's pretty stable now, and I think I may be able to get more power out of it with some more careful adjustment as the heads are rated for 15mW. Still want to figure out how to get the "silver boxes" working with it; nobody has yet, (only the black power supply) - but it appears to be an issue of software and a serial interface, or at the very least, knowing the commands to get the laser to turn on.

But if anyone needs any help getting one working that they get from said surplus stock, let me know. I can help out.

mfo: Sorry about all that, I just thought it was mostly answered (albeit somewhat inconclusive)... I do not think the 'pink' ive seen has been an afterimage *or* flourescence, so it's kind of odd, but I also haven't been able to replicate it since with my 473.

Last edited:
Possibly.. it's hard to say without a pic or video or something. As long as the blue output is proper I don't know if I'd worry about it too much.