Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning Through Paper With 5mW

Using a focusing lens pulled from an old rear projection TV I was able to burn holes though a piece of paper in seconds using a "5mW" 405nm Ebay pointer! :eg:

Although the holes are hardly visible to the naked eye and I know the ebay lasers can be quite overspec but the beam shined right through. It was pretty neat even after blasting through countless items with my 445nm.

Gave me a new respect for optics. If only I could get my 445nm focused do finely!

I was also thinking maybe it would be a better trend for newbies already armed with 5mW pointers instead of Pot "Breaking" :crackup:

Id post a picture but my camera charger is MIA at the moment

udanis

Yes, these are way over spec, most pople were getting around 50mw. My $7 405nm ebay pen lights matches

I can machine you a mount so you can put that TV lens on your 445 :crackup:

Lately, 50mw seems to be the min on them and qumefox has had a few as high as 71mw I think. That should light something up focused. I was surprized when my 1st one burnt black plastic quickly into a hole with a lens. lol

Is that a shoulder mount Flamin?:crackup:

I can machine you a mount so you can put that TV lens on your 445 :crackup:

Thanks to duct tape I was able to mount it to the 405nm :na:

Its actually a pretty small lens no bigger than an inch in diameter.

I did consider trying to focus the 445 as tight as possible and then try to further focus it with this lens. Im not sure if this works or makes any sense but it seems like the 445 doesnt focus as tight as it could!

On another note anyone know the average output of the Greens? with IR or no IR

About the same, braddubya, if you mean the ebay/newwish ones. Maybe more of a spread than the blu-rays. 20-50mW usually with the NewWish 532s, where we've seen more like 40-60 with the 405's. Peaks on both seem to be ~70. (I have a NewWish 532 that starts out at 0mW and then eventually gets up to ~70.)

The greens are a lot more sensitive to heat (being DPSS, and cheap DPSS at that). So often folks will think they arrive broken, when really all they have to do is hold them in their hand for a while to warm them up.