Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning the PHR-803T Sled

I promised a video to some users here to show this so here it is. For those that don't know what this is, this is a video of lighting the PHR-803T sled on fire. The sled is made out of what looks to be a Magnesium Aluminum alloy, which is great because it is flammable.

Video:
[media width=600]http://www.youtube.com/v/sgzeGhd0adE[/media]

Thank you for doing your part. ;D I had no idea that you could light a slab of MgAl.

--hydro15

after finding out that these sleds burn so well, I bought myself a pound of meagnesium shavings on ebay ;D ;D

SHould be fun times when i get it!!!

Murudai said:
'We're sorry, this video is no longer available."

???
The video must not have been done processing.

GooeyGus said:
after finding out that these sleds burn so well, I bought myself a pound of meagnesium shavings on ebay ;D ;D

SHould be fun times when i get it!!!
Magnesium shavings can provide hours of entertainment. If you have any oxidizers laying around like KNO3 try mixing some of that with the shavings and lighting it at night, you won't believe how bright it is.

cant one obtain KNO3 at the hardware store as some sort of fertilizer? Or I think maybe stump remover...

Magnesium is what they use in flash bangs, its highly dangerous yo your eyes when exposed to the flashes. I know you want to keep your eyes safe, so just play it safe ;)

I like fire too [smiley=evil.gif]

Dont you mean KMN03? Potassium permanganate. Used to be freely available here in the UK as a foot deodouriser . Mere mention of it now will get you arrested as a terrorist.

Great oxidiser and a lot of fun when added to Glycerine.

Jase

GooeyGus said:
cant one obtain KNO3 at the hardware store as some sort of fertilizer? Or I think maybe stump remover...
Powdered stump remover is the stuff. ;)

laserwanabe said:
Magnesium is what they use in flash bangs, its highly dangerous yo your eyes when exposed to the flashes. I know you want to keep your eyes safe, so just play it safe ;)

I like fire too [smiley=evil.gif]
He isn't making flash bangs because he has shavings, he is making a sort of flare.

Tallaxo said:
Dont you mean KMN03? Potassium permanganate. Used to be freely available here in the UK as a foot deodouriser . Mere mention of it now will get you arrested as a terrorist.

Great oxidiser and a lot of fun when added to Glycerine.

Jase
I don't think mixing KMnO4 with Mg shavings and lighting it would be a good idea, KMnO4 is a pretty potent oxidizer, unstable stuff too.

It is fun to use with glycerin though!

I think he really did mean KNO3, or Potassium Nitrate... it's used in foods as a curing agent, it's used in big crystals as a "deodorant alternative", it's used as a stump remover. It's really similar to NaNO3 or Sodium Nitrate, which is also used as a food additive, or as a uhh, sexual demotivator... Known as "saltpeter" it's sold at some drug stores as eating it supposedly takes away sexual urges.

Be really careful with permangenates, they're unstable and unpredictable. I've seen youtube videos of people blowing their arms off playing with potassium permangenate... it's not worth the risk.

Hehe, after seeing this I spent a few minutes grinding the side of one sled down and collecting all the dust, lit it with my jet torch and nearly instant BRIGHTNESS ;D. This is cool, haven't seen magnesium burn in a while. Thx for sharing styro! ;)

rkcstr

Also works with the PS3 sleds, if you happen to have any lying around (I've got quite a few)... maybe others as well.

Benm

That sled burns pretty well!

I would have expected it to be even brighter though... in chem labs we used to have magnesium ribbon, which is about 5mm wide and perhaps 0.2mm thick or so. You can hang pieces of ribbon from someting, light them and let them burn up, this lights a whole room blindingly bright.

Be careful with shavings though, if you try to light a pile of those you could be in for a nasty surprise... at some point te whole thing catches fire at once which can result in a flash more powerful than you opted for ;)

Be really careful with permangenates, they're unstable and unpredictable. I've seen youtube videos of people blowing their arms off playing with potassium permangenate... it's not worth the risk.

The stuff itself isnt that dangerous really, it basically just stains your skin (and everything else for that matter) very badly. But mixing it with, for example, metal powders can easily result in a big bang instead of a flash of bright light.