Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

burning green laser

Good morning all!

I wanted to get myself a super cool green laser in which i can pop balloons and burn matchsticks.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Wicked Laser's Nano but I had read a few threads saying those were overpriced.

So hopped on the form to see what you guys recommended.

I'd like the laser to be green, powerful enough to burn and operate on a 18650.

Hit me up!

Hi,
Ok I'll hit you up with this first, Go to the welcome section and introduce your self first so we can get to know you better and add your global location . A little about your self would be in line also.

Rich:)

Reactions: GSS

Encap

A green Wicked Lasers Nano at 5mW or 15 mW is not going "pop balloons and burn matchsticks".

As mentioned above, please make a Welcome thread in the Welcome sub-forum.

Hmm.. smell that?

:crackup:

Last edited:

Gazen

First of all, before you do any burning you need safety glasses coated for whatever wavelength laser you use, you can get them at survival lasers.

Try jetlasers or Sanwu, their lasers are focusable and high quality.

Stay safe

I'm not sure what you guys are looking for the in the 'about me' section but i'm down to answer questions if there's a 1-10.

A thirty something married dude living in the Tampa area. The idea or need for this laser came up actually to help with a safety issue (imo). Apologies if the Dr Evil shroud came on too jovial in a time of seriousness.

In an attempt to ignite my bonfires much safer I thought maybe a laser would help. Imagine there a pile of yard trash, neatly setup inside a sandy pit surrounded by rocks. The plan is to sprinkle the pile a tad with the gasoline and set a band of unlit matches right in the middle. Next I'm going to stand back essentially as far as I can till I can't see the red tips of those matches, then hold the laser steady. Hope to be over 10' from the pile which I thought would put me in the safe range for ignition.

I'd like to use the 18650 instead of AA batteries to power this rig. Noticed the Nano was on that AA style and was displeased.

As a kid my parents let me play with the cats with a laser pointer and they always enforced the rule of 'never at people especially the face/eyes' from a very young age. But admittedly do not own a set of glasses. If I may ask, without being too rude, why does the guy holding the laser need the glasses? Maybe the accidental reflections are also strong enough to damage?

Thanks again for your time and patience

It's getting worse for you Sharky.
We don't condone unsafe usage of lasers like what your suggesting.

I strongly suggest before you post any more, to go use the search function and learn about safety and also read all the safety 'sticky' threads first.

Put your location in your bio.

RB

diachi

In an attempt to ignite my bonfires much safer I thought maybe a laser would help. Imagine there a pile of yard trash, neatly setup inside a sandy pit surrounded by rocks. The plan is to sprinkle the pile a tad with the gasoline and set a band of unlit matches right in the middle. Next I'm going to stand back essentially as far as I can till I can't see the red tips of those matches, then hold the laser steady. Hope to be over 10' from the pile which I thought would put me in the safe range for ignition.

As a kid my parents let me play with the cats with a laser pointer and they always enforced the rule of 'never at people especially the face/eyes' from a very young age. But admittedly do not own a set of glasses. If I may ask, without being too rude, why does the guy holding the laser need the glasses? Maybe the accidental reflections are also strong enough to damage?

People have been lighting fires safely without lasers for 10s, if not 100s of thousands of years. Learn how to do it properly and you don't need a laser. I like mine with gasoline from time to time but doing it without isn't difficult.

Hitting a match head from any sort of distance is difficult to do with any sort of reliability. Wouldn't be anything more than a cool party trick.

Yes, reflections are strong enough to cause eye damage. Depending on the power, even the reflection off of a regular piece of glass is enough to cause eye damage.

GSS

Understanding the fun and wow factor Sharky.
Just imagine this though, there will be lot's of people at this bon fire and some will naturally react and grab that laser from your hand or try to, to see what it's about. Trust me it will happen..;)
I'm not killing your cool wants but everyone hear started slow learned a little, did some controlled burning of maby some balloons, plastic's and popsicle sticks..
Read a little and tell us what you think is the best option for what your looking for..
This forum isn't a buzz kill, it just pushes for safe lazing..:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you guys are looking for the in the 'about me' section but i'm down to answer questions if there's a 1-10.

A thirty something married dude living in the Tampa area. The idea or need for this laser came up actually to help with a safety issue (imo). Apologies if the Dr Evil shroud came on too jovial in a time of seriousness.

I'd like to use the 18650 instead of AA batteries to power this rig. Noticed the Nano was on that AA style and was displeased.

Why are you using gasoline son? That's not only stupid it's dangerous. Lighting matches to ignite gasoline amounts to a questionable party trick always requiring a new audience and potential disaster.

I know using matches isn't dramatic as a big burst of gasoline fueled flame from a laser, but it's much safer. Stay safe.

P.S. You do no gasoline won't ignite? It's the vapor that does. That vapor can spread widely. Maybe more than ten feet.

Encap

e

As mentioned above --what your are thinking of doing is not too bright or safe and is a little kid idea of making a dramatic fire.

The Nano you were considering , battery, aside is only offered in very low output power 5mW and 15 mW green and would never light anything.
So that is just a daydream based on imagination about lasers.

Generally you are much better off with a box of kitchen matches than any laser for lighting fires and burning things.

Last edited:

diachi

Why are you using gasoline son? That's not only stupid it's dangerous. Lighting matches to ignite gasoline amounts to a questionable party trick always requiring a new audience and potential disaster.

Gasoline is perfectly fine for lighting fires, as long as you do it right. You don't pour 5 gallons of gas on the fire then leave it sitting for half an hour while all of the vapors build up, forming a rather explosive mixture of gas vapors and air.

I usually put some gas on some scrunched up paper/kindling, light that then put it under the fire. Then, just to get things going, I'll pour some gasoline into a cup/small bottle and dump that on top as needed.

50/50 diesel mixed with gasoline (up to 70/30 for warmer ambient temperatures) is very effective for lighting fires.

Hi, If your really going to go through with this poorly though out plan DON'T use gasoline. Go to the super market or somewhere and use regular fluid to light a charcoal grill. This way you won't look like Luke from the Mod Squad with a bad hair day or worse. Really now hope your not seriously going through with this. I'll see you in the news..

Rich:)

Sounds like you are trying to replicate some movie action sequence with lasers and fires and possibly explosions. That is not at all what we are about here. Lasers are not toys and need to be handled safely. If you are holding a laser in your hands and pointing it around, it can most definitely get reflected back to your eyes and permanently damage your vision.