Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burn Demo on a Popsicle Stick - Hand Laser Engraving w/ Macro Zoom on the Results

To demonstrate the burning ability of my recently acquired/assembled 12X Blu ray laser I decided to make the following video:

Full HD version and Twitter/Facebook/Etc. share link here: http://d.ro/laserwrite

To make it a bit more interesting than your average burn demo video I added a macro closeup video of the burn results at the end.

Enjoy!

-Scott

Last edited:

Cool video & laser. How many mw is it putting out? I like the zoom, did you use any macro lens?

Thank you to those making compliments!

Cool video & laser. How many mw is it putting out? I like the zoom, did you use any macro lens?

According to FrancoRob's plot graph found in this thread, for Pioneer BDR-205 diodes operating at 500 mA there should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 mW. Unfortunately I currently do not have access to an LPM so I cannot give you a definite answer.

I will say that with standard optics this is currently probably the most effective handheld burning laser out there within reach of your average laserist. These diodes put out a very clean and tight beam when properly collimated. That means that it is easy to focus essentially all of the optical energy into a very fine burninating point.

As for lenses, the first shot has a wide angle lens and the second shot uses a tight macro.

-Scott

Last edited:
DAMNED steady hands. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it:) Braced or otherwise

DAMNED steady hands. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it:) Braced or otherwise

Well I wouldn't give me TOO much credit. I'll let you in on a little secret. I messed up at the end in writing the exclamation point. I meant for the dot of the exclamation point to be more distinctly separate visually. I realized my error as I wrote it and so to cover the mistake I just made the top part of the exclamation point more bowed out. ;) :D

-Scott

Cool, i'd be afraid for my iPhone though :p

I was thinking the same thing.. "oh that's a nice way to prop up a popsicle stick.. wait is that.. :eek:" :crackup:

Looking forward to more videos in the future!

Thanks for letting us know that was a Popsicle stick made out of wood, I had no idea! :p

I was thinking the same thing.. "oh that's a nice way to prop up a popsicle stick.. wait is that.. :eek:" :crackup:
:crackup: I likely would not have used my iPhone save for the fact that it has a rubbery protective cover on it. If the beam would have hit the cover it would have zapped it lightly and that would have been it.
Looking forward to more videos in the future!

I'm making preparations for my next videos. Going to be working on a build video and then some more balloon based videos. ;)

-Scott

I'm making preparations for my next videos. Going to be working on a build video and then some more balloon based videos. ;)

-Scott

Good deal Scott. When you get to the 445nm diode man will you be surprised how bright it is to a violet laser.

Thanks for letting us know that was a Popsicle stick made out of wood, I had no idea! :p

Funny enough I actually have had an ice cream with a plastic stick. It was even colored and textured to look like wood. :thinking:

-Scott

Good deal Scott. When you get to the 445nm diode man will you be surprised how bright it is to a violet laser.

Oh I know already. I have a couple of jayrob hosts that run in the 1 W range. The first time I saw one of my 1 W handhelds of 445 nm light up I wrote to jayrob afterwards with a P.M. entitled, "Freaky!". When first entering into the 445 nm revolution I wanted to do it right. Now that I have a proper taste for it I want to go ahead and try and be inventive enough to make my own handheld build but in an approachable, inexpensive while effective way as possible.

-Scott

Last edited: