Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building 1w 445nm

Hey everyone,
Im building my first laser and thought i would make this thread.

Parts
1.25A diode driver
445nm M140 diode
C6 flashlight host
12mm aluminum heat sink

I have no experience in this at all haha. Also my first time soldering so we will see how it goes.

diachi

Hey everyone,
Im building my first laser and thought i would make this thread.

Parts
1.25A diode driver
445nm M140 diode
C6 flashlight host
12mm aluminum heat sink

I have no experience in this at all haha. Also my first time soldering so we will see how it goes.

Did you get a module to put the diode in?

Yes i did. I will try and upload pictures but i need to find out how to resize them first.

JH4tZa8

6NXBexT

F59447O

Added 3 links to my progress so far

I either need to get electrical tape or heatshrink tubes tomorrow. I forgot about that.

Last edited:
I am pretty much finished. Just need to wrap some tape around it. I put a link so you can see all the pictures on imgur.

jallis11's uploaded images - Imgur

I feel like i did a messy job soldering the wires. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 3H758fU - Imgur.jpg
    3H758fU - Imgur.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 71
  • nCYi7lk - Imgur.jpg
    nCYi7lk - Imgur.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi jallis, glad to see you got your first build nearly done! :beer:
As Chrisbee mentioned, a good solder flux is recommended; I use Flaminpyros flux, it's great stuff, and it does come in a syringe, which makes applying it easy!
I know you have already soldered your wires, but I would highly recommend using shrink tube, rather than tape.
Tape may come loose after a while and cause trouble, not to mention, shink tubing looks a lot nicer and is actually easier to apply than tape.

Last edited:
Yea i will get some flux paste because i think my soldering messed it up haha. I put it all together and it didnt work. I think i just made a bad connetction between the driver and diode (was my first time soldering wires):crackup:

So think i will have to get a new driver but thats fine. Will have to start over haha

The wires for the driver were just soooo small. Was hard to do

Last edited:

BobMc

When I did my first c6 build, I pushed the driver to far in the pill so that the positive terminal wasn't touching the contact board. But best wishes I had fun time building/ trying to figure out what went wrong and after you do and it's working it's a great feeling! Best wishes

Reactions: GSS

Garoq

And in case you didn't see it, check out the "C6 Laser Assembly Tutorial" in my sig. ;)

Reactions: GSS
Ok ill get a test load and a regulated power supply and get the laser working before I put it into the host. Also need to get a multimeter haha. I was not prepared, but i learned some things so that's good. Also thanks Garoq, your sig has a lot of good information.

Last edited:

94Z28

Good try jallis, there could be some other things wrong as mentioned sometimes you need to put a spring/solder blob in the middle contact pad of the driver to get battery to make good contact.

If you have any questions PM me I've put together quite a few of Garoq C6 kits.

I am pretty much finished. Just need to wrap some tape around it. I put a link so you can see all the pictures on imgur.

jallis11's uploaded images - Imgur

I feel like i did a messy job soldering the wires. What do you all think?

My first electrical soldering was done using lead free solder, which is very difficult to work with. Are you using 60/40 tin lead rosin core solder with a soldering stand? That works the best