Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Build Thread: 505nm module into host

BobMc

Thanks BobMc,

With this, can I just buy the module & plug it in & be done? Why do I need a blank board? The module already comes with a driver & diode, so all I need is the host, no? :eek:

-Alex

Yes, you would still need to solder the two wires from DTR's module to the board. The board is so the positive terminal of the battery has something to push against.

There are also some YouTube videos of how to build a c6 bundle you might want to take a peak at to give you a idea of what goes where. It's really quite easy. A lot of people, including me, started off with a c6 bundle as our first builds. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

I think that host is way over priced. It is the same as a small flashlight. A 501B is larger and cheaper and looks just as good as that over priced one they sell. At most a 501B should cost you $25.00, but can usually be had for even less. And you can get them in any color. They had this same host with all the little parts priced separately making it a $50.00 kit. That's just silly as blank contact boards are so cheap that I often got then free if I bought anything else as a bonus item. Pills are the same too.

Just so I can get a good list going here. Which members would be willing to build a 505 build if I were to send the parts to you? I'll pay for shipping to you(of course), and back to me(of course).

-Alex

GSS

Hap, i'm a bit confused to which hosts you don't like or want??
Lifetime has probably 20 different ready to go plug and play's of all styles.
Battery board all set and done..
Red wire to red and black wire to black and done:)
Way cheaper than you might think, unless you have already have contacted him..
Paul's idea of a 501b in the color of your choice is your best bet and with a AL sink should be perfect..

Guys, thanks for all your help. I unfortunately just had some car trouble, so no lasers for awhile. *sigh* ��

-Alex

I think I've found a much better, and cheaper way to get myself a 505 laser. Are C6 hosts offered by SL good for a general everyday use laser? I am asking since they only cost $15, instead of the *New* $49 host for 20mm modules.

If someone is willing to build this for me, just send me a PM with your address and I will get the parts shipped to you. I just need confirmation this is all that is needed. The 12mm 505 module(w/boost driver installed) and a C6 host. Is that is?

If so. I do have one final request, and here is the page linked so you can see what I am talking about:

C6 Host Assembly

-For Heatsink: Do I need to pay $7+ more for an aluminum thingy? Isn't the module already installed with a heatsink?
-For Driver Pill: Do I need any of that?

Thanks,
Alex

BobMc

I think I've found a much better, and cheaper way to get myself a 505 laser. Are C6 hosts offered by SL good for a general everyday use laser? I am asking since they only cost $15, instead of the *New* $49 host for 20mm modules.

If someone is willing to build this for me, just send me a PM with your address and I will get the parts shipped to you. I just need confirmation this is all that is needed. The 12mm 505 module(w/boost driver installed) and a C6 host. Is that is?

If so. I do have one final request, and here is the page linked so you can see what I am talking about:

C6 Host Assembly

-For Heatsink: Do I need to pay $7+ more for an aluminum thingy? Isn't the module already installed with a heatsink?
-For Driver Pill: Do I need any of that?

Thanks,
Alex

Yes, your going to need the aluminum heat sink, the 12mm module that DTR sells with the driver soldered on goes inside the heat sink.

Your also going to need a blank contact board ( no wires )

Survival Laser Driver

That and some thermo compound and your good to go. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181829436194

Ps, the two wires that come with the 12mm module get soldered to the blank contact board in the same places as the wires that are soldered to the board in the picture. Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:
Yes, your going to need the aluminum heat sink, the 12mm module that DTR sells with the driver soldered on, goes inside the heat sink.

Your also going to need a blank contact board ( no wires )

Survival Laser Driver

That and some thermo compound and your good to go. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181829436194

Ps, the two wires that come with the 12mm module get soldered to the blank contact board in the same places as the wires that are soldered to the board in the picture. Hope it helps. :)

Thanks Bob!

Alright, so it's looking like it'll be about a $100 build. No too bad. If I ship this to you, all the parts. Can you build it for me Bob? Do you have thermal paste already? :)

-Alex

BobMc

Thanks Bob!

Alright, so it's looking like it'll be about a $100 build. No too bad. If I ship this to you, all the parts. Can you build it for me Bob? Do you have thermal paste already? :)

-Alex

No, that's not what I meant, sorry but my schedule is such that I can't build things for people, to much time away from the house, sorry. :(

Only meant to inform you of what things you'd need to complete the build yourself. Thought that might help. Didn't mean to give you false hope. Send Lifetime a pm a ask him?? :)

Edit; He just built me a 480 and a 505 for me, ask him about them? Ask to see the pictures, too cool. Small 10440 host. ;)

I tried to post the pictures but for some reason they don't want to post. :(

Last edited:
No, that's not what I meant, sorry but my schedule is such that I can't build things for people, to much time away from the house, sorry.

Only meant to inform you of what things you'd need to complete the build yourself. Thought that might help. Didn't mean to get you false hope. Send Lifetime a pm a ask him?? :)

Not a problem Bob, it's all good :D I'll send Lifetime a PM and see if I can work something out with him.

:pop:
-Alex

I would bet Rich already has what your looking for ready to go. I don't mind helping you out either. Literally 2 wires and a dab of thermal goop.

It's not that complicated. The 501Bs came with the contact board already attached to the aluminum heat sink with two wires, one red and one black, to solder the driver input to.....and if it is attached to the diode, you have two wires to connect and heat sink compound if you want. Many are so close that most of the heat sink compound is pressed away when the module is pushed into the heat sink. Nothing could be easier.

I'm really not sure what the hangup is. Its baffling me. If the board has wires on it already you could twist connect and heatshrink the joints. I think Paul said the thermal paste is optional in this instance. I offered to help cause I'm greedy and really enjoy building and the first light experience of the build so I must try to encourage you to tackle this yourself to absolve my guilt lol.