Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broken green laser pointer?

( WHAT IF ??? ) it suddenly turned on cause of a bad contact and the 80mW beam hits your eye , your eye will be fried and then you have only 1 eye left , if not the Ir is enough to cause damage just never look in a laser even if it's not working for an unknown reason

80mW of green is nothing, compared to what could have gone wrong.

A 100mW green laser has a 500mW pump diode, in most cases.

If the crystals were misaligned, most, if not all, this would be leaking through.

500mW of 808nm IR is less visible than a 1mW red keychain pointer. You don't know it's doing damage until it's way too late.

The green is the least of your worries.

Meh...
Sounds like the typical burned out pump diode. Most cheap greenies die this way.
I've never heard of one going out of alignment. It could happen, but with the amount of epoxy they slather on those things, probably not for 50 years.

Still... looking into the aperture of any laser with the possibility of activation is a bad idea.
If the laser in question was leaking >300mW of 808nm light, it would be visible when projected onto a surface up close.

Saying that the green is the least of your worries is... not true. If I had to choose, I'd take ~300mW of high-divergence 808nm in my eye over 80mW of green in a tight beam (higher power density). Of course, the best option is to never let any laser light enter directly into your eyeball.

You can talk about what-ifs all day, but when it comes down to it, it's all about the what-is.

If you think you may have damaged your eye, seek professional help.

If you want to repair your laser, it will be quicker and easier to just buy a new one. ~100mW green lasers can be found for real cheap these days (of course, you get what you pay for).

Interesting story I'd like to share with you guys

I got a 50mW laser pointer. It started dimming and only giving IR. So I left it under my desk for a few weeks. For 'Ol time sake I decided to have play with it and it started working perfectly!

What happened lol

Valid

I can only keep repeating what everybody in here said: Never look into a laser, no matter how broken it is!

(En als je in Nederland woont suggereer ik je om gewoon een Laser uit het buitenland te kopen, in Nederland zelf kom je niet zo makkelijk aan een Laser, en ik neem aan dat je geen commerciële vergunning hebt?)

Very wise advice. Treat lasers like guns.

Never look at the barrel of a loaded laser. If you must look into the aperture FFS TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT!

(commerciële vergunning) ja of nee ... gewoon nooit met een laser van 0,5 mW of 5 watt buiten spelen en mens/dier naar de klote helpen fik gewoon je eigen ogen kapot lol en niet zeuren als je aan 1 oog of bijde blind bent einde .

mod101

Hi there!

I'm new here because i got a question about my laser pointer.

I got a green laser pointer 80mw.
Since à couple of months it doesn't work anymore.
When i push the on-off button i got no green laser anymore the only thing i see, when i put the laser against my eye, (i know it's very bad to do that) is a little red lightning dot.

Does this mean it's broken?

i smell a troll
his wording sounds strangely familiar to one of the stickies about green lasers