Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broke the anode pin on my Osram PLT5 450B diode, is there any hope in fixing it?

whytho

So far my first laser build has been a disaster, the driver board broke away from the diode pins because of this strange c6 host I'm using. But anyway, the "LD anode" pin broke off my osram diode, which I'm going to assume is the positive terminal. I've read around that I can solder the tiny remains of the pin to the diode case and swap the battery around but I wanted to ask myself before doing so, as this was quite an expensive module. The cathode pin is also very weak and about to break off, so if that happens I'm assuming this diode is done with :cry:

gazer101

So far my first laser build has been a disaster, the driver board broke away from the diode pins because of this strange c6 host I'm using. But anyway, the "LD anode" pin broke off my osram diode, which I'm going to assume is the positive terminal. I've read around that I can solder the tiny remains of the pin to the diode case and swap the battery around but I wanted to ask myself before doing so, as this was quite an expensive module. The cathode pin is also very weak and about to break off, so if that happens I'm assuming this diode is done with :cry:
You have plenty of options; maybe try soldering a super tiny wire to the stub remains of the anode and stick with your current driver.

Or if that doesn't work, apply a solder blob to connect the laser's anode to the diode's case, ensure the (+) end of the battery is touching the bottom end of the C6 host, get a driver that regulates its (-) output as opposed to the usual (+) (can check by doing a continuity test between the (+) input and output, they should be connected/beep), connect the (+) input of the driver to the case (no need for a (+) output), connect the (-) input to the (-) end of the battery, and connect the (-) output of the driver to the cathode (-) of the laser.

Fortunately for you, if this seems too complicated, your diode is quite cheap and can easily be bought new off of DTR with fast shipping (https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/osram-plp450-450nm-laser-diode). Please somebody correct me if I am wrong

I've done it and came to the conclusion it was toast, no way to make it work, easier just to get another one, in my case. Some great suggestions by Gazer though, maybe one of those will work for you.

I've done it and came to the conclusion it was toast, no way to make it work, easier just to get another one, in my case. Some great suggestions by Gazer though, maybe one of those will work for you.

Even if you are successful- I would think the diode would not last very long.
I got a very spendy 250mW 532 module from Laerlands about 10 years ago.
and the two diode legs were the only thing keep the module connected to the driver-- and while trying to be careful one leg broke- and JBWeld was not the correct fix. len
also===just an idea- you may have more lick with a 'small glob' of JB Weld- it has iron in it and does conduct power. found that out trying to JBWeld a magnet to something- I looked away and the weld moved all around the magnate==regular expoxy would have been a better choice