Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brights Green Laser to use without goggles?

Stanui

Hello everyone, Im looking at getting a Green laser for the brightness and beam visibility.

What would your Recommendations be as for Power to wow friends and coworkers, but without doing any Damage to eyes?

P.S
I received a 5W Blue laser from Jetlasers and it is INSANE!

Love it.

Thanks for your help! :thanks:

Stanui

Right, is 100mWs to bright to look at the dot without eye damage?

Ive only used 5-30mW green lasers in the past and they were never extremely bright.

Thanks!

Radim

As said 5 mW or less. Still it can cause damage if someone tries to resist blink reflex. Green should be quite visible. 520 nm is "more blue" - bit more visibility in night (as I perceive it), 532 nm is better during dusk/darker day. But difference is not much noticeable and more individual eye dependend IMO.
Check this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function

It is more about preference and purpose/conditions you will use it for/in. Diode (520) or DPSS (532). Larger temperature range and mechanic durability, or nicer beam.

GSS

A 100mw 532 dot is very uncomfortable to the eyes. They will get tired quick and you really have to think of possible reflections hitting your friends. Not a good idea..

Last edited:

Radim

Ive only used 5-30mW green lasers in the past and they were never extremely bright.

Thanks!

Depends on distance you look at it and surface hit. My WL Evo lights cigarette with no problem (I never do it without glasses). And it works without focussing lens. With focussing lens it engraves wood. The dot is bright enough to cause pain looking at it in few meters. Difused light over prolonged periods (30 minutes - 1 hour) causes quite tired eyes if no protection is used.

Not recommended if you do not plan to invest in quality laser safety glasses.

Last edited:

diachi

A 100mw 532 dot is very uncomfortable to the eyes. They will get tired quick and you really have to think of possible reflections hitting your friends. Not a good idea..

Not to mention, people see lasers like that and immediately want to "play" with them, which inevitably leads to something dangerous happening.

Less than 5mw is safe to look at but should not ever be shown directly into ones eye nor should you view a specular reflection, diffuse is ok but never let your eye enter the beams path.

Hello everyone, Im looking at getting a Green laser for the brightness and beam visibility.

What would your Recommendations be as for Power to wow friends and coworkers, but without doing any Damage to eyes?

Thanks!
You are going to show off your laser around
people that don't know about Laser Safety...

What part of less than 5 milliWatts don't you
understand..

Jerry

P.S

Love it.

5 milli-watt maximum.

As everyone here has told you, the only eye safe power is <5 mW. Had you asked your question a little differently, a dot from a 532nm green DPSS laser at 100 mW is fine to look at if it is on a nonreflective surface. Black is best as it absorbs more of the light than white. Anything that can reflect the light like a mirror or glass in a window can cause a collimated beam to strike someone in the eye and cause irreparable damage. If the dot is on a nonreflective surface, it could cause flash blindness, like a flash photograph would, but won't cause damage to the eye.

Last edited:

Encap

P.S
Love it.

Ignorance is bliss, and it is all good fun until someone loses an eye.
You are an accident looking for a place to happen - a danger to yourself and other people with a 5W 445nm laser until you have real knowledge of lasers, laser eye hazards, and how to properly handle and use lasers.

Here is a laser hazard chart--- have a look at it http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

While <5 mW is legal to sell in USA that does not mean it can not cause eye damage.
Even a 1mW or <5mW laser can cause eye damage if not used correctly.
From "Laser Classes (visible light only, unintentional exposure <0.25 seconds)" see:
Laser classification table - Laser Safety Facts

"EYE INJURY HAZARD -- DIRECT AND REFLECTED BEAM
Class 2 visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.
Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.
The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 2 laser (0.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 46 ft (14 m)

Class 3R visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately look into or stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.
Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.
The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 3R visible-beam laser (4.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 104 ft (32 m)"

The real answer, bottom line ----what you are proposing to do "wow friends and coworkers" with a high power green or your 5W blue is a stupid, reckless and irresponsible daydream---"wow" them with something else until you know what the risks are and safe operating procedure is.
You need an education about laser safety first and laser goggles .
Study the real world of laser safety here: Laser Pointer Safety - A comprehensive resource, for safe and responsible laser use

See this thread about a member hit in the eye with a 1W 445nmn blue laser: https://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Last edited:

Vxrtx

Could you possibly link me to a website which sells laser pointers with a "nominated date delivery" such as amazon (In other words, you decide what day you want it delivered)

I really need a laser pointer which burns paper with ease, plastic bags (them thin ones which you can get from supermarkets). I don't mind the color but it has to be strong and powerful.

diachi

Could you possibly link me to a website which sells laser pointers with a "nominated date delivery" such as amazon (In other words, you decide what day you want it delivered)

I really need a laser pointer which burns paper with ease, plastic bags (them thin ones which you can get from supermarkets). I don't mind the color but it has to be strong and powerful.

Why do you need a laser that can burn paper and plastic bags? A lighter will do that just fine and is both cheaper and safer.