Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Breaking News - Soraa hits 100mw in 516nm, 500 / 1400 mw in single / multi mide Blue

rhd

I hate to say it, but I think the 516s (or whatever wavelength they end up at) are not going to live up to the excitement we're hoping for.

- they're going to peg in around 100mw
- they'll be less visible than 532s, so that 100mw will look more like 75mw of 532
- the color isn't far off from 532

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly build one when the diodes hit. But I don't think a 100mW 515nm will be as exciting as the ~500mW 638nm diodes that should hit around the same time (and potentially in the same projectors). In terms of giving us something really mind blowing, I think the high power, low wavelength reds will be more exciting. More visible red beams - that excites me :)

Last edited:

ixfd64

Didn't Soraa already announce a 750 mW single-mode blue laser about half a year ago?

joeyss

I hate to say it, but I think the 516s (or whatever wavelength they end up at) are not going to live up to the excitement we're hoping for.

- they're going to peg in around 100mw
- they'll be less visible than 532s, so that 100mw will look more like 75mw of 532
- the color isn't far off from 532

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly build one when the diodes hit. But I don't think a 100mW 515nm will be as exciting as the ~500mW 638nm diodes that should hit around the same time (and potentially in the same projectors). In terms of giving us something really mind blowing, I think the high power, low wavelength reds will be more exciting. More visible red beams - that excites me :)

The 516 will be great to use at night since it will be brighter than a 532 at night. Also I can see making a flashlight from a few of these when they go cheaper. 516nm would be great for night illumination

Well, for those of us who are wavelength junkies (which I am slowly becoming), a new wavelength will always be welcome! Anyway, a "bluer" green would neat!

mfo

The 516 will be great to use at night since it will be brighter than a 532 at night. Also I can see making a flashlight from a few of these when they go cheaper. 516nm would be great for night illumination

516 < 532 as far as brightness goes.

Yeah. Joeyss, you were referring to scotopic vision, right? Well, because lasers are a bright light source, scotopic vision doesn't really play a role - if you can see the color of the beam (which you can with these high-powered lasers), then it's not your scotopic, but your photopic, vision that is at play.