Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bought this off of eBay, what should I expect?

Hi everybody, first time poster here. I used to read the site a lot back when the Arctic Spyder III was just coming out, but not since then.

I've owned laser pointers before, but nothing more than the cheapest thing you could buy on eBay or those really horrible gold ones that come with multiple tips.

I bought my first green laser pointer the other day on eBay. It cost just under 6 dollars and the maximum power is >5mW.

Here is the link: New 5mW 532nm Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen Gift - eBay (item 280667838021 end time Jun-28-11 08:04:39 PDT)

How much brighter will this be than those cheapo red lasers? I read that the green laser will appear much brighter than the red lasers.

I am wondering if I will be able to see the beam at night without fog or smoke.

I assume this laser is not suitable for having my dog chase it around as it is much brighter than the ordinary red lasers (which I also bought one of).

I know 99% of this forum is for higher powered laser pointers (or at least ones over 5mW), but I am not looking for anything serious, just something to play around with.

I have no idea what I'm actually going to use this laser for, so if anyone has a list of things I can accomplish using this type of laser pointer please direct me to it.

Trevor

Firstly: careful, it might be significantly over 5mW with a large IR component.

Second, you'll be rather impressed. The beam should be visible at night without the aid of smoke or fog.

It'll make a nice astronomy pointer. :)

-Trevor

Is there any way I can add an IR filter on my own easily? I don't want to accidentally blind someone with a reflection.

ARG

You can buy an IR filter here:

Small IR Filter

I've installed one on the inside of the cap on a pen laser before. You can also mount it on the outside if you want, but it wont look as nice.

Wow, that costs more than the whole laser pointer!

I've shone a 5mW Green laser into my eyes. Just a little bit of a blind spot for 5 minutes. No permanent damage.
REFLECTIONS will not blind for >5mW
I wouldnt be worried with the infrared leakage it's too small to do anything.

Trevor

I wouldnt be worried with the infrared leakage it's too small to do anything.

Disregard this advice.

Low power green lasers are ludicrously inefficient, and require a large quantity of 808nm pumping to lase.

You could be getting tens of milliwatts of IR leakage; more than enough to do retinal damage.

-Trevor

Disregard this advice.

Low power green lasers are ludicrously inefficient, and require a large quantity of 808nm pumping to lase.

You could be getting tens of milliwatts of IR leakage; more than enough to do retinal damage.

-Trevor

Thanks.

To be safe I'll stick to mainly outside usage and very careful and cautious inside usage.

Trevor

Thanks.

To be safe I'll stick to mainly outside usage and very careful and cautious inside usage.

I don't want to scare you inordinately. :p

Unless you IR filter it and ensure green output is <5mW, you'll definitely want to be conscious of reflective surfaces when using it indoors.

You don't need to treat it like plutonium. :)

-Trevor

Trevor is correct. Power ratings on lasers, especially cheap china lasers, aren't to be trusted. I bought a 5mw 532 greenie pen on ebay. It actually metered at 34mw without an IR filter. My LPM broke since then, so i do not have a true 532 output reading :(

Another interesting note; my 5mw, 405nm pen form the same seller metered at 41mw.

Just another reason to treat lasers as loaded firearms. :beer:

Trevor is correct. Power ratings on lasers, especially cheap china lasers, aren't to be trusted. I bought a 5mw 532 greenie pen on ebay. It actually metered at 34mw without an IR filter. My LPM broke since then, so i do not have a true 532 output reading :(

Another interesting note; my 5mw, 405nm pen form the same seller metered at 41mw.

Just another reason to treat lasers as loaded firearms. :beer:

So how much of those mW were IR?

Trevor

So how much of those mW were IR?

Out of 34mW, I'd expect maybe an average of 20mW of it to be IR. That component will slide up and down significantly (from laser to laser) based on very touchy factors in DPSS. :p

-Trevor

Last edited:
So I just got it in the mail and it doesn't seem that bright. I went to a dark room in the house and could not see the beam :(. So I probably got an under spec laser.

Dark room <> night.
Try doing it at night. All 5mW pointers I have used produced significant beams at night.

Dark room <> night.
Try doing it at night. All 5mW pointers I have used produced significant beams at night.

Just tried it after leaving a friend's house at night. You're correct -- it produces a great beam with excellent range. I can see the beam well when it contrasts with the night sky.