Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bought Lasers and Don't Know What To Do

laserowner123

Recently I purchased some lasers at an auction. I bought three lexel 95 lasers and a lexel 75 laser. They came with a polarizer, cooler, batteries, and tubes. I don't have the electric abilities to run the lasers. I'm going to sell them. The previous owner said they worked but I have been unable to test them. Does anyone have any suggestions to where I could sell them or how much they might be worth. Shipping will be expensive. Thanks, any suggestion would be appreciated. They are really cool in my opinion, but it's over my head at this point. I bought them at a bargain price and I'm not very sure how much they are worth at full retail.

Last edited:

Encap

"Don't know what to do with them"? Why did you buy them, then?
No power suppliies?
Hope you did't pay much for them. Are the Argon or Krypton versions?

Maybe attempt to sell them "As Is" w. unknown details, use hours history, used, untested, for parts only, high shipping costs.
Try putting them on Ebay and see if you get any offers---will be a tough sell Lexel 95, 240V 3 Phase, water cooled lasers--even if new unused.

I mean an untested and unknow condition, no details on/of them, old, used---who knows?
How do you expect to sell them if you can't even determine if they are just rubbish bin worthy old lasers. Why would you buy them except maybe off chance they have some good parts if you need them. Will be a needle in a haystack search possible buyer

The Lexel 75 has not been made since 1996.
You can read more about it here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserarg.htm#argtsw
HEre is a thread about one a member bought for $100 : https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/lexel-75-questions.87070/

Here is a member considering a working Lexel 95 for $200 and comment about same: https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...del-95-ion-laser-what-can-i-do-with-it.69300/

Here are photos of several Lexel models and power supplies: https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserpic/lxlpics.htm
Here is a Lexel 95 Power supply on ebay, inagine the shiping cost--yikes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexel-ION-...313055198634?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Just Google "Lexel75" and "Lexel 95" see what others are doing and where their might be a market.

Last edited:

laserowner123

We'd need a few more details. Model 95-what?

A quick googling suggests a value of ~$300-$600 for a working used model 95.

Thank You.

After actually sorting through them better, I've found there are four Lexel lasers (2 95s, an 85, and a 75). There are also four Lexel power supply units (3 model 95 power supplies and a model 75 power supply). Also a NESLAB Liquid Recirculator System, a Polarizer and several crates of energy storage batteries and recharging systems. They are also Argon not Krypton. I'm just starting to learn more about them, just wasn't sure what the market might look like for all the stuff. But, no I didn't pay much for everything. Thanks for any help.

laserowner123

Thank You.

After actually sorting through them better, I've found there are four Lexel lasers (2 95s, an 85, and a 75). There are also four Lexel power supply units (3 model 95 power supplies and a model 75 power supply). Also a NESLAB Liquid Recirculator System, a Polarizer and several crates of energy storage batteries and recharging systems. They are also Argon not Krypton. I'm just starting to learn more about them, just wasn't sure what the market might look like for all the stuff. But, no I didn't pay much for everything. Thanks for any help.

Also, not looking for prices as much as just wanted to see if there was any interest in buying the stuff. Even for parts I would think they would be worth something? But maybe they are so old, most look to be mid-90's, no one messes with them anymore? Thanks.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Progress. Couple of decades ago: 7 watts multi-line from one of the higher end Lexel 95s=over 100 lbs of gear+3phase power+water cooled.
Now: 7 watts of corrected 445nm beam from a handheld. Helluva lot cheaper too.

But argon lasers definitely have their charm. Beautiful tight beams. And the tubes themselves are works of art.

You may be able to answer all your own questions--try 'google search'
What did you learn at (Dr) Sam's Laser???

we want to help BUT if you learn as much as possible on your own.. we ALL can help with stuff that you cannot find on your own--

we DO have other things that need attention--

also why no 'Intro'thread'? no location in your profile???
==++++++++++++++++==
quote from Sam that will make you laugh --

I met Sam twice at SELEM-- he has a great sense of humor.

looking fwd to your intro-- I can promise that you will have no regrets.

From Sam---------
''

Many people also claim that the lasers they are selling have low hours or were only used briefly a few times ("only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays."). In most cases they actually don't have a clue and such claims carry about as much weight as the campaign promises of politicians. :) Unless the laser was originally purchased new, they (or you) may have no real way of determining how much it was used. For HeNe lasers, this may not matter that much since if the laser works when you get it, it will probably continue to work for as many hours as you are likely to care. But for ion lasers, you could be getting a low pressure tube that is on its way out. While there is usually an elapsed time meter present on ion lasers it isn't a reliable indication of past use as the tube may have been swapped or a mechanical meter may have recycled back to zero (more than once!) and like automobile odometers, can be reset. With other types of lasers, it may be even more difficult to determine the amount of use. High power diode lasers and diode pumped solid state lasers may have a life expentancy of only a few thousand hours to begin with and the one being offered may be near the end of useful life. And, if abused at any time, all bets are off and it may not even make a good boat anchor!

Finally, here are some other common statements paraphrased from various actual eBay offerings:

• Description: Laser tube ionizes but I don't know if it lases.
    Translation: There is no beam when driven with my power supply.

• Description: Power supply arcs trying to start tube. It needs minor repair.
    Translation: Laser probably needs new tube.

• Description: These argon ion laser tubes are nearly new and ready to use.
    Translation: They are not split in half but their condition is otherwise unknown.

• Description: I bypassed the switch and it powered right up.
    Translation: The Power light came on.

• Description: This auction is for three unused lasers.
    Translation: I haven't attempted to power these pieces of junk since pulling them from the dumpster.

• Description: This laser has very low hours.
    Translation: I haven't used it much since pulling it from the same dumpster.

• Description: This HeNe laser power supply is rated 5 mA at 1.5 kV but will run four foot long tubes if the input voltage is tripled.
    Translation: The long tubes might flash just before the smoke comes out of the power supply.

• Description: Untested.
    Translation: It looks like a laser or, I had Joe plut it in and it behaved like a brick but I did not test it. :)

• Description: Laser is marked 15.3 mW and came from working equipment.
    Translation: Original power output was 15.3 mW but now may be much lower.

• Description: Laser has power output of 8.5 mW but I am unable to test it.
    Translation: Original power output was 8.5 mW but it may be dead now.

• Description: Laser is in original factory crate.
    Translation: Broken laser was removed from service and put into the crate in which the replacement was shipped.

• Description: The resale value is over $1,000.
    Translation: The original highly marked up price for a replacement in one particular piece of equipment was over $1,000.

• Description: This laser is used, working condition is unknown. Tube is cracked and broken.
    Translation: The remains of this laser may be useful as a doorstop.

• Description: Laser system is complete, just plug it in. Untested but in excellent cosmetic condition.
    Translation: I plugged it in and nothing happened but it looks nice.

• Description: The capillary on this green HeNe laser tube is broken off inside the cathode, but this won't affect operation as it doesn't block the beam.
    Translation: The already very marginal gain for the green wavelength is now much lower. The tube is now only useful to salvage the mirrors.

• Description: This laser is a little scratched up on the outside but looks great inside.
    Translation: I plugged it in, turned it on, and nothing happened.

• Description: These lasers haven't been tested in over a year and are sold as-is.
    Translation: Over a year ago they didn't work.

• Description: Powers up and appears to be in good working condition accept for a broken bulb in the laser. Guaranteed not to be dead on arrival.
    Translation: The laser tube is smashed but the power supply lights come on. It might make a decent door stop.

• Description: These HeNe laser mirrors are new in bag.
    Translation: The mirrors were ripped from dead HeNe laser tubes but are now in a new plastic bag.

• Description: We have tested this unit for power, and it does power up. Light is also emitted. Functionality beyond that is unknown, so it will be offered as-is.
    Translation: The tube is dead and it's just blue bore light but it looks nice.

• Description: In good physical condition from deactivated inventory.
    Translation: They kept the dead junk on the books to boost the value of the company to investors.

• Description: This laser has been tested. (No further comments.)
    Translation: This laser had been tested and is dead.

• Description: Don't know much about this setup, but the control box powers up fine.
    Translation: The power light comes on but the HeNe laser power supply brick or HeNe laser head is totally dead.

• Description: This power supply will run HeNe lasers up to 5 mW.
    Translation: This power supply will run HeNe lasers with safety sticker ratings up to 5 mW, actual rated power of 1 or 2 mW.

• Description: This laser came from a working environment.
    Translation: This laser was found stuffed in a cabinet outside the clean room.
Whether buying from a surplus outfit or a private individual, don't expect to get a new laser for bargain basement prices.

))))funny guy{{{

if you offer a good price Sam may buy--see his classified ads for insight and values..

LPF is not a chat room.. ok?

and --were are your pics?? we like to see them---hak (texas)

Last edited:
You're gonna have a rough time selling any of the 95 stuff. Those are 3phase-only. The vast majority of us are hobbyists with no regular access to 3 phase power. The 85 isn't very useful without a PSU.

The 75 is standard 110V at least, but google tells me it's only a couple hundred mW. Not much higher than a regular air-cooled argon.

Where are you located? Good luck finding buyers, let alone making any profit.

laserowner123

You're gonna have a rough time selling any of the 95 stuff. Those are 3phase-only. The vast majority of us are hobbyists with no regular access to 3 phase power. The 85 isn't very useful without a PSU.

The 75 is standard 110V at least, but google tells me it's only a couple hundred mW. Not much higher than a regular air-cooled argon.

Where are you located? Good luck finding buyers, let alone making any profit.
Joplin, Missouri (Southwest Missouri)

^^^^ true.
money is tight. scary times... good luck.
if SELEM 2020 happens you may be able to get help and at least some testing. (Conover NC--Aug or another date depending. SELEM has 240 and water.
Take pics of all you got
Sam may have a diagnostic testing..
did you check him out??
without proof of life
we wont pay the ranson... lol jk