Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

bluray in a glass rod

phenol

this is a broken glass rod. the edge the incident beam is coupled to is oval. the slightest change in the position and angle of incidence affects the number of waves in the rod. The opposite side where the fracture has occurred seems to reflect a small portion of the light back to the source, which in this photo looks like a faint standing wave at a 180 degree offset from the main one.
No ambient lighting, F/3.5, 1/6sec, ISO-400, camera held in hands.

Attachments

• 12345_001.JPG
    12345_001.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 551

diachi

The beam may change colour if you use a green laser as well, the beam changing colour is called fluorescence, blu-ray lasers at 405nm are more prone to making things fluoresce than lasers at other wavelengths such as 532nm Green.

Nice picture :)

ArRaY

Awesome!

What are you waiting for? Get some more pictures!
It literally shouts wallpaper...

Very nice find.

ArRaY

Green and blue lasers will also turn yellow in glass - but the internal reflection there is really cool!

Switch

I have yet to come across a piece of glass fluorescent to green.We'll see about the blu-ray when my lavadrive gets here :p

Things

Wow thats cool! Almost like one of those cylindrical plasma lamps! The light appears to "bend" through the tube. Nice pic/idea!

daguin

A beautiful picture. I wonder what it would look like with an HR mirror at the end?

Peace,
dave

phenol

Things said:
Wow thats cool! Almost like one of those cylindrical plasma lamps! The light appears to "bend" through the tube. Nice pic/idea!
Light does indeed bend somewhat, especially when I move its entry point a tad because the rod is far from perfect. The material is probably not optical grade glass and as such its index of refraction might not be constant throughout its volume, hence the 'slack' trajectory of the beam inside.
It is a $1 stirring rod I bought from a chemicals supply shop.

Switch

It does bend but I doubt it curves like that.I would think it only appears like that because the surface is cilindrical, though the beam is pretty much straight inside, bending only on reflection.

Things

Yeah, it seems like it would work. Looking through a cylindrical thing does make stuff apear to "bend". Everyone knows its not really possible to bend light, as in, get it to go in a curved shape by itself. ;D

i want that piece of glass... it has lamp written all over it!

it would look so cool as an accent lamp... make a nice machined base for it and a ac to dc converter so you can plug it in!

DO IT!