Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue-ray laser mouse?

Then I'd guess the mouse uses a different frequency of IR - cameras will interpret different shades of IR as different visible colours. An odd side note, with goggles, can anyone else see the IR leaking from a green pointer? I thought 808 and 1064 were way outside of human eye-sight, but I've been wrong before...

only very high concentrations of 808 can be seen by eye... 2W of 808 looks like less than 5mW of 650

Here's my mouse's laser.. It says it's 848nm, and it can just barely be seen as a very dim red dot. The camera picks up this neat interference pattern though.

Attachments

• DSC01457.jpg
    DSC01457.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,864
Yup. my mouse is very similar to Lobster's, and is also at 848nm. It's such a nice mouse I could never move to my old one, though I'm still not convinced about the thumb-scroll... Plus Win7 doesn't support some of the features provided by SetPoint (I can't install it)

About the greenie, it's more of a speck of deep red just behind the green point of emission when i'm looking almost directly down into the module. I was quite careful about doing it but it was still probably a foolish move - nobody blind themselves doing it!

EDIT: Post 100!

JSP4th

i get the same thing from my vxnano when i look through a camera. that's why i started this thread if all i need is speckle from a laser diode and the logitechs have a 848nm laser to do that then why can't you use a different wavelength or even a higher mW laser (somewhere around 30mW) to get higher DPI and increased performance from the mouse (not to mention a cool violet light coming out of the botton of the mouse)

Geez. My logitech G5 appears to be focused @ infinite. It also darn near blinded my iphone's camera. I always figured it was focused at the desktop it was sitting on. No more staring into the little deep red, barely visible light for me...

rancor

marks47 said:
Geez. My logitech G5 appears to be focused @ infinite. It also darn near blinded my iphone's camera. I always figured it was focused at the desktop it was sitting on. No more staring into the little deep red, barely visible light for me...
:eek: Looks like my G7 is the same. (the second shot is from about three feet away)

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 228
808nm IR typically looks blue when viewed through most digital cameras because the blue dye in the Bayer color filter array typically passes more IR than the red and green dyes. View an IR laser or LED with a cellphone cam, webcam, etc and you'll see something very similar.

If you point a laser pointer at your laser mouse from about 1 foot, at a 90 degree angle from the bottom of the mouse, you`ll see your cursor move on the screen. My Logitech actually seems to be more sensitive to violet than red. So, I think a blue-ray mouse is a valid experiment. I`m thinking about doing it myself. You`ll have to use a flex-drive to get enough voltage out of your batteries to get to threshold.

DO IT AND POST PICS!!!

?

I am pretty sure the 'blue-ray' was actually 'BlueTrack' which is microsofts newest optical mouse technology (beats me why its better than good ole IR mice, but I guess blow glow is in these days)

In any case, I am fairly certian you could get the mouse to work with a phr diode, however you will probably need to adjust the power to account for the CCDs greatly different sensitivity at 405nm vs 830nm ( 1/2 the wavelength!) Extra props if you focus the diode down on the bench so you can burn your mousepad as you use you computer, I wonder what the resulting patter would look like after a few weeks of use