Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue beam laser distance meter

Hello to everyone. I'm new to this site.
I have a question.
Does anyone know of a blue-beam laser distance meter (+-400nm)?
I need it for film I'm making.

First off 400nm is clpsest to 405nm which is violet orm purple. Second, depending on the power output that laser could shine over 5 miles. Finally afaik they dont make deviced to measure how far a beam shines and if they did ive never seen one

He could mean a blue laser for measuring distance instead of the normal red ones not to measure the distance of the laser ( I think :thinking: )

Hi,

Do you need it to work?.
i.e. actually measure or just an on set prop that emits a blue beam?

If the latter is the case, just rip the guts out of a standard unit and install a blue module?

ATB
MM

Hey. Thanks for replying.
Kookapeli is right. A distance meter with blue or violet beam (maybe green will work too),
and - yes, I need it to work. I need to measure distances for focusing in an almost dark set, with 'near IR' light and film stock, and I need the distance meter to be in a spectral range as far as possible from it.

that's a tough one. Since you can not simply replace the red laser for a blue one.

So, you are going filming with a night vision camera, and need to measure with a laser at the same time??? if so you are better off just getting a standard tape measure.

edit... or used a laser measurer outside of the frame while rolling.

Michael.

Last edited:
Maybe you can replace the red laser with a blue diode???

Usually the red laser is just a few mw used for directional pointing and a more powerful IR diode and IR RX does the actual measurement. I'm not 100% sure though???

Bushnell makes a series of range finders which are remarkably accurate and use a safe IR laser which allows accurate measurements out to I believe 1 mile with their newer units. I have the ARC1600 which measures out to 1,600 Yards. These use nice optics and an IR laser with an in-sight overlay information display which allows you to target your objects distance with a crosshair center point. Simply press the button and you have the distance in yards. Mine also compensates and displays the angle of the terrain also. Here is the link to one of their better units, they also have many others available too!

Bushnell - Elite 1600 ARC

^^^ that's great info, but I fear you didn't read his request. He cant have ir because it will show up on his film.

Michael.

haha no worries... I've already submitted your name for a permanent ban. jk lol!!!

Michael.

why not use an ulrasonic measure with a blue diode for aiming?

Hey. Thanks for replying.
Kookapeli is right. A distance meter with blue or violet beam (maybe green will work too),
and - yes, I need it to work. I need to measure distances for focusing in an almost dark set, with 'near IR' light and film stock, and I need the distance meter to be in a spectral range as far as possible from it.

could be a dumb question but if you cant use IR since it will show up on film, how is 445nm or blue any different? blue is highly visible so id think it'd show up even more than IR but not sure what type of filming your doing

He's using a night vision camera, i think a low powered 405 would do the trick, not sure how laser meters work tho ??

Hey guys, thanks for helping.
Swamidog- that's exactly what I'm looking for, only I can't find one...:(
Anyway, I was thimking of buying a red laser one and a blue 405nm pointer, and replace the diodes, only I can't find one that works on the same voltage. The meter usually runs on 9v and the pointers on 3v. :confused: What to do???