Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-Ray Writer Harvest - Success!

jayrob

desslok said:
Nice.  Grats man.  Now some vids of it burning stuff.  

I focused it in close, (about 2 feet) and it surprised me with a sting to my arm! So, I tested it on a match, and it easily lit a match. The only thing is, for some reason, it doesn't focus the same as the red diodes that we are used to. If it is focused close (for burning), for some reason, at 10 feet, it is way out of focus. Like a golf ball size spot.

On the other hand, when it is focused to infinity, it has a fairly tight spot all the way up close too! Just not super tight, like for burning. So, IMO, it is nicer to find infinity, and leave it at that setting. Then it is that 'beam', and that florescence that is the treat! Leave the burning for the open can reds!
Jay

Very nice  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Vids of burning, beams and florescence, please. Great work!

jay it kinda sounded like you wanted this to die in a way so you could buy the other drive, when you were like "i connected it anyways"

chido

Don't kill the diode just to have an excuse to buy another drive.
Instead give it to me, I'll put it to good use. ;D

jayrob

FireMyLaser said:
Very nice [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Vids of burning, beams and florescence, please. Great work!

Thanks man! I almost feel unsatisfied because I see from drlava and Hemlock Mike, that I bought the wrong drive! But on the other hand, my handheld 42mW blu-ray is still VERY NICE to have!

toked323 said:
jay it kinda sounded like you wanted this to die in a way so you could buy the other drive, when you were like "i connected it anyways"

Lol...Well, I really thought it would be ok to connect it, but I still wasn't sure. So no, I didn't WANT it to die, but I knew that it might. And it would have been a good excuse to get that 4/6 X drive that drlava and Hemlock Mike have!

chido said:
Don't kill the diode just to have an excuse to buy another drive.
Instead give it to me, I'll put it to good use. ;D

No no... Now that I have it all buttoned up in that awesome MXDL host, I REALLY like it!
Jay

Gazoo

Way to go Jay.. ;D The differences between the two are very noticeable. ;)

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Way to go Jay.. ;D The differences between the two are very noticeable.  ;)

Thanks Gazoo! I was looking for your input when I was trying to figure out if I could connect the heatsing/LD to the MXDL host! Man, I was 'sweatin' it'. I took a chance because there was a voltage reading between the positive lead and the LD case. Also, because of the fact that it is reasonable. Because the LD case is grounded in it's original configuration as well. So now I know I can put one of those 4/6 X diodes that Hemlock Mike and drlava have, in my MXDL host! Anyway, you must have been away for the weekend, or had the flu or something huh? Lot of stuff happened in the last 30 or 40 hours. Did you see my graph on page 5?
Jay

Hey Jay!  So, as you can see, we are all pretty impressed!  Maybe one of these days, I'll get a powerful bluray laser.  I do have a lot of joy with the one I have that peaks ~15 mW.  It was made by the famous Daedal!

jayrob

scopeguy20 said:
Hey Jay!  So, as you can see we are all pretty impressed!  Maybe one of these days, I'll get a powerful bluray laser.  I do have a lot of joy with the one I have that peaks ~15 mW.  It was made by the famous Daedal!

Thanks scope, I really like my PS3 blu-ray too. I must say though, that you get 'instantly spoiled' on more power. The good thing is, we know that the blu-ray writers are going to come down in price!
Jay

Hi jayrob im one of your fans who follows your way to success on your bluray burner, if you dont mind can you post here the schematic diagram of this project including the input power supply, if possible can you please put also the actual circuit as for my guide cuz i have a coming LG BLUray4x burner drive.thanks.

jayrob

adgmeijin said:
Hi jayrob im one of your fans who follows your way to success on your bluray burner, if you dont mind can you post here the schematic diagram of this project including the input power supply, if possible can you please put also the actual circuit as for my guide cuz i have a coming LG BLUray4x burner drive.thanks.

Already have it all laid out for you right here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202168096/0
Now, check this page for a good picture:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202396141/45#48
The circuit is a DDL style driver. Only, for this adjustable blu-ray driver, just use the 50 ohm pot for the resistor. No other resistor.
Jay

Gazoo

Jay, I did take a look at your graph...very nicely done. I am curious about the voltage reading between the positive pin and the case. I can't explain it, but it's good to know it can be mounted without the need to isolate the diode...I would have been sweating that too...lol.

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Jay, I did take a look at your graph...very nicely done. I am curious about the voltage reading between the positive pin and the case. I can't explain it, but it's good to know it can be mounted without the need to isolate the diode...I would have been sweating that too...lol.

Hey thanks Gazoo. Man, I am very excited about these blu-rays! Even at 43mW's, the beam is visible at night outside in normal city lights. You can point it into the sky and see the beam! I can't wait to get one of the drives that Hemlock Mike and drlava have. That's a 100mW handheld blu-ray in my MXDL host! Awesome...
Jay

P.S. I wonder why the other diode, the one that I sent you, started out with much higher readings? More like drlava's. Especially with the 1mW to 1mA gain in power. Definitely like a completely different diode...
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202396141/0

Im gonna wait, a LOOONG TIME before I buy a blu-ray, Ill prolly wait untill you can get like a 1 watt blu-ray for $500 lol, even if thats like 3 decades away....

1 watt of blu-ray.... Thats one INSANE beam....

regards,

amk