Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-ray problems

I encountered the same type of trouble with a Blu-Ray I got from Jake-21, only in this case, the laser was completely built when I got it. But when I turned it on, all I got was a blue flash & it died.( thats what started all the ill feelings between him & I that have since been settled :)) If I were you, I'd just PM Styro about the problem & I'm SURE he'll make it right for you, 'cause Styro is a stand-up guy with a VERY GOOD reputation, & he makes A-1, top notch lasers. You have NO WORRIES with Styro, he's a good dude ;) phoenix77/rob :cool:

IgorT

styropyro said:
but what gets me is how could have this happened? I mean if it would have somehow got busted in the mail it wouldn't have lit up at all.

A diode can simply just get weakened to the point, that a powerup will kill it. If a diode was heavily mollested during shipping, i think this is actually more likelly, than the diode not coming on at all.

IgorT said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1218774845/0#14 date=1218810184]but what gets me is how could have this happened? I mean if it would have somehow got busted in the mail it wouldn't have lit up at all.

A diode can simply just get weakened to the point, that a powerup will kill it. If a diode was heavily mollested during shipping, i think this is actually more likelly, than the diode not coming on at all.[/quote]
i don't think it could have gotten damaged in the mail. It was very well packaged, but who knows what goes on in the mail...
i'm in the process of moving so im going to be internetless for a few days, i will try to reply when i can.

IgorT

Well, that was just one example. There are many things, that can weaken a diode. I was just trying to say, that a weakened diode would die at a powerup.

IgorT said:
Well, that was just one example. There are many things, that can weaken a diode. I was just trying to say, that a weakened diode would die at a powerup.
it died within 10 seconds of power up, it didn't over heat, it didn't even get warm. but it was super bright, if i had to compare it to one of my greens it would be close to my x150

IgorT

Well, it can't really overheat in 10 seconds.. Is it completelly dark or is it still putting out some dim light?

Close to your X150? In what? Brightness of the spot?

I just tried comparing a blue-er 135mW PHR and a 200mW blu ray spot to my "X-"150, and they they don't even come close to it's brightness.. I can't even imagine the power, that would be required... Of course, that's when you hold them side by side..

By themselves at night, they do leave a bright impression tho.

Ace82

Static electricity discharge from friction in the mail?

Does the post office use X-ray's or any other type of signal emitting frequency that might be the culprit for damaging these diodes?

Or just bad diodes? :-/

It shouldn't be static sensitive because it was soldered to a driver.

It would take a LOT of power to match a 150mW green in brightness though. 405nm is on the edge of visibility and I don't even think a short circuit could make it that bright. Maybe his eyes are just very sensitive to 405nm?

IgorT

Yeah, that part is weird..

Otherwise, ESD can kill a diode that is soldered to a driver. But not during the summer, and not using battery power.

There is something else very ESD sensitive tho. The MOSFET on the driver input.. Was it the newest adjustable driver? Usually, when a diode dies, it still puts out light. It shouldn't get completelly dark..

I think if maxkillz could measure the current draw from the battery, that could answer the question what happened. I'm guessing either no current is flowing or the battery is shorted. Both could be caused by a dead MOSFET. If the current is what you set it to, the diode is dead.

The MOSFET could be killed by ESD, ungrounded soldering iron or >12V input voltage. For example an unregulated wall adaptor set to 9V could easily kill the MOSFET, because it can put out up to 15V, depending on it's current rating.

At least this is what happened to me in one case. The driver was drawing a lot of current, but didn't put out anything. After i replaced the mosfet it worked again. You can also just remove it, if you bridge the positive input to the trace, that goes to the IC.

styropyro said:
It shouldn't be static sensitive because it was soldered to a driver.

It would take a LOT of power to match a 150mW green in brightness though. 405nm is on the edge of visibility and I don't even think a short circuit could make it that bright. Maybe his eyes are just very sensitive to 405nm?
yes actually my eyes are very very sensitive to it, i guess it's like how i can hear lower tones than most of my friends ~14hz but i can't hear much after 12khz. i haven't tried ir yet but i would guess that i would see less than most people

Those diodes can take a LOT of punishment. My blu-ray took about SEVEN burst from the capacitor and still lived, but when I put it in my underwater laser box it did something weird and died. :p

Note: I used the same switch in the underwater laser box for a green module which is probably why it died.

--hydro15