Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-Ray Goggles under $5

Perhaps but I would wonder about the spectrum and what percent the glasses actually absorb.  UVA is from 320-400nm so 404nm blu-ray is not deep within the range of protection, secondly even if the glasses block 90-95% of 404 you are still looking at 10-20mW from a 6x going through.

This is not even going into the potential hazard of pupil dilation from sunglasses, dye bleaching etc.  I would recommend against it.

We go through this all the time, it might work, it probably is better than nothing, but eyes aren't replaceable.

691175002 said:
Perhaps but I would wonder about the spectrum and what percent the glasses actually absorb.  UVA is from 320-400nm so 404nm blu-ray is not deep within the range of protection, secondly even if the glasses block 90-95% of 404 you are still looking at 10-20mW from a 6x going through.

This is not even going into the potential hazard of pupil dilation from sunglasses, dye bleaching etc.  I would recommend against it.

We go through this all the time, it might work, it probably is better than nothing, but eyes aren't replaceable.
Its 99.9% and they are clear (not tinted). I wouldn't take a chance with a direct hit, but how about reflective? That's all I'm really concerned about.

Go for it but I cannot really recommend them in good conscience. 404nm is close, but not in the UVA range. Even if the absorption/reflection of your glasses drops to 95% for 404 you could be taking 10mW from a mirror with a 6x (plus it is possible that the 99.9% rating is marketing hype or not evenly distributed across the spectrum). As long as the risks are something you are willing to take feel free. See if you can see the dot/focus with the sunglasses on. The chances are that it will work, but it has never been tested so don't fool yourself into thinking you are 100% protected.

If they do not meet ANSI Z.136 or CE EN207 standards then no they are not guaranteed to be laser protective. No one in their right mind will say they are as it is irresponsible to do so.

Thanks for the info. I wouldnt even be playing with these, but my funds are ulta low. Took me almost 3 months to scrape up enough cash to buy a module.

FrothyChimp said:
If they do not meet ANSI Z.136 or CE EN207 standards then no they are not guaranteed to be laser protective. No one in their right mind will say they are as it is irresponsible to do so.
They are ANSI z87.1+
and talk to Igor about recommendations..

Last edited:
^ANSI has standards for everything, it's not called the American National Standards Institute for nothing.

Without looking it up, I would bet that Z87.1 is about impact protection, and says absolutely nothing about laser light protection. If someone wants too look up what that standard is for, that would be excellent. The standards that frothy listed are the ones that specifically deal with laser light protection, so anything else isn't likely to cover laser light protection.

pullbangdead said:
^ANSI has standards for everything, it's not called the American National Standards Institute for nothing.  

Without looking it up, I would bet that Z87.1 is about impact protection, and says absolutely nothing about laser light protection.  If someone wants too look up what that standard is for, that would be excellent.  The standards that frothy listed are the ones that specifically deal with laser light protection, so anything else isn't likely to cover laser light protection.
Spot on

The ANSI Z87.1 standard sets forth requirements for the design, construction, testing, and use of eye protection devices, including standards for impact and penetration resistance. All safety glasses, goggles, and face shields used by employees under OSHA jurisdiction must meet the ANSI Z87.1 standard. The eyewear standard includes the following minimum requirements:

Provide adequate protection against the hazards for which they are designed
Be reasonably comfortable
Fit securely, without interfering with movement or vision
Be capable of being disinfected if necessary, and be easy to clean
Be durable
Fit over, or incorporate, prescription eyewear

Switch

Tech_Junkie said:
How can I test these without a LPM?
You shine the laser through them and see how much gets through. :p You can leave it on to see if any damage occurs to the lenses aswell.

Well I use sunglasses to block out Blu-Ray and it seems to work just fine. I dont even know where I got them, just some old sunglasses I had lying around. When I shine the beam through them very little of the original power gets through. Probably should err on the side of caution though, and go certified....

There are a style of sunglasses called blue-blockers I posted about them about a year or 2 ago. They block nearly all blu-ray light and 473nm light. They are cheap and they sell them at walgreens. The have an amberish colored lens. I like wearing them everywhere.

lasersbee said:
[quote author=Tech_Junkie link=1236742145/0#8 date=1236755370]How can I test these without a LPM?

Send me a pair and I'll test them for you on an LPM with a 405nm LD... :cool:

Jerry[/quote]
PM me your address...