Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu Ray Beam

ZRTMWA

Yes some scorpions do!!! I was in the bottom of the Grand Canyon on a rafting trip for 8 days. We only went looing one night and we never wanted to again after what we saw. On a small island we were camped out on, looking only for 5 minutes we must have found 15 scorpions! We used a UV light which makes them very visible.

ZRTMWA

Could you make an epic blu ray setup with 3 PBS Cubes? I wonder if it would burn well :bowdown:?

3 PBS Cube Setup picture by ZRTMWA - Photobucket

Can I quote myself? Getting this thread back on topic, this setup would be possible if I used the PBS Cubes found in PS3 sleds. Look at this thread and the picture of the 2 blu-rays being combined into one, taken by FireMyLaser.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/sled-pbs-42414.html#post561210

So you just need 3 PS3 PBS Cubes and you could create a >1600mW blu ray.

Some websites sell microscopically fine particles of non-toxic flourescent powder that can be mixed with paint. Technically, it is toxic if you breathe it in but you shouldn't be breathing in any particles into your lungs anyway.

given that the original question dealt with adding the fluorescent particles to a spray smoke powder, breathing it in would be a huge concern..

You can only use ONE PBS. Period. There is no way around this. You cannot use more than one. The reason for this is due to the mechanics behind it. If you look closely you'll see that when you have two lasers feeding into the cube, you cannot add any more without one of the lasers' output being fed into the aperture of another. Also, there are only two possible polarizations (important because combining the beams is dependent on polarization), horizontal and vertical. In order to combine a third laser, you'd need another polarization. These are the reasons that no more than one PBS cube can be used.

Last edited:
Yeah, toxicity is the real problem, that's why I asked :p Maybe there's a way...

ZRTMWA

You can only use ONE PBS. Period. There is no way around this. You cannot use more than one. The reason for this is due to the mechanics behind it. If you look closely you'll see that when you have two lasers feeding into the cube, you cannot add any more without one of the lasers' output being fed into the aperture of another. Also, there are only two possible polarizations (important because combining the beams is dependent on polarization), horizontal and vertical. In order to combine a third laser, you'd need another polarization. These are the reasons that no more than one PBS cube can be used.

So I can't combine 2 blu ray beams into one PBS Cube if they have already been combined in a seperate cube? So the setup displayed is not possible? In the entire setup there are only two beams being fed into one cube at a time.

If you combine two beams into one and then add another cube it will split the beam again.

There are ways to combine multiple beams but it's not easy.

Last edited:
So I can't combine 2 blu ray beams into one PBS Cube if they have already been combined in a seperate cube? So the setup displayed is not possible? In the entire setup there are only two beams being fed into one cube at a time.

But since you've combined both polarities with the first cube the beam is no longer polarized so it can't be efficiently combined again. The PBS cubes ability to combine beams is dependent on each beam being polarized in a different direction and there are only two possible directions. A beam that has been produced by combining two polarized beams can't be combined on the basis of polarization again. You can, however, combine it with another color laser using a dichro and get a multiline beam.

Yeah, PBS cubes can't combine mulitple beams( >2 ). I think it takes knife edge mirror techniques.

Last edited:
^Even the knife-edge technique doesn't actually combine the beams as much as it lines them up touching side by side.

Yes some scorpions do!!! I was in the bottom of the Grand Canyon on a rafting trip for 8 days. We only went looing one night and we never wanted to again after what we saw. On a small island we were camped out on, looking only for 5 minutes we must have found 15 scorpions! We used a UV light which makes them very visible.

A little late but wanted to mention I have a few of those genetically engineered "glo-fish" that glow when hit with UV light. I have not hit em with my bluray tho, maybe I might if one dies of natural causes. Think it might glow pretty good?

link GloFish® Fluorescent Fish Home Page

ZRTMWA

I don't mean to bring back a dead thread but I've been thinking about this topic again recently. Would the Opto PBS Cube work for combining two blu rays?:

Optotronics Product Details

It says "broadband multi coated on all surfaces" and I don't know what that means. I also read that these optotronics cubes are not polarized (hence why they are called precision beam splitters), does this have any affect on blu ray combining? If this is not the optic to go with can anyone provide a link to another optic? The two diodes would need to be facing each other and the beam comes out perpendicular to them? It's very hard to search LPF because I can't type in "PBS". I used the google search box but its not that good. Thanks.

If it is truly broadband coated, then it should work pretty well with any color laser. If they are not polarized then they can't be used for combining, only splitting.

Here is where I bought mine. Scroll to the bottom.

COMPONENTS

I bought a 405 and a red. They will eventually be incorporated into a scanner that I'm working on.