Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BlackBuck 6 POT!

I like the Black Buck 6, but the pot used on this little board is far, far too small and fragile, it's a surface mount with tiny little minute spots of solder holding it on the board which is far too soft, come off with a slight touch. This is the second one that has happened to me with.

I don't have the tools needed to put this pot back on the board, I am not happy.

Last edited:

Re: Black Buck 6 POT!

Yes,I also have this, you need a casserole to warm up the circuit and put the pot back
But is difficult: na:

Couldn't you use a resistor to set your limit, I don't know what the range of the little pot is but you could ask X-Wossee

Last edited:

I would like some physically larger drivers with bigger holes for thicker wire, a sturdy multi turn pot and their own heat sink.

Seems like a lot of these drivers are made to fit in a pen laser which a 5W laser has no business in anyway.

--edit--

Looks like the 6 is being replaced with this 5.5, same pot though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACS5500BU-...572337?hash=item23a6292f71:g:e~QAAOSwnKdbVkav

---edit---

I have some tiny jewelers screwdrivers, and you likely do too, but I have given up and started wearing my reading glasses when I solder and work on small stuff now, I really hate it but it's part of getting older and they help a lot.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Red, I was looking at your link, and it says under "major improvements" from the BlackBuck 3/6 drivers is a larger potentiometer.
Looking at the pics though, it doesn't look very large.

Edit - I wonder if you could try and hold the mount of the pot with tiny tweezers while turning the adjuster to keep it from being pulled loose from the board.

Last edited:

I would like some physically larger drivers with bigger holes for thicker wire, a sturdy multi turn pot and their own heat sink.

Seems like a lot of these drivers are made to fit in a pen laser which a 5W laser has no business in anyway.

--edit--

Looks like the 6 is being replaced with this 5.5, same pot though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACS5500BU-...572337?hash=item23a6292f71:g:e~QAAOSwnKdbVkav

---edit---

I have some tiny jewelers screwdrivers, and you likely do too, but I have given up and started wearing my reading glasses when I solder and work on small stuff now, I really hate it but it's part of getting older and they help a lot.
I was just looking at that 5.5A Driver yesterday.
I'd be using it out of a host and would replace
the 1 turn pot with extension wires for a 10 turn
pot of the same value.

Jerry

I have that driver in my stock. I had no idea this was a problem. Thanks for the heads up. I will be extra careful when I set it. Might add some epoxy around the edge if it looks feasible. :(

Last edited:
I also had a pot break off. You can of course reflow it, if you have the kit (have done this with ICs and resistors etc), but the connectors are big enough to solder back into place with a fine tipped soldering iron. Pretin both the contacts on the board and the tip of the iron. Touch the connections when in place with the iron. Using flux and a magnifying glass helps!:beer:

Last edited:
I have 1 BB6 in use but I also have several in my hold unused and this is not good, I will remember to be very careful and gently press down as I adjust.

Reactions: GSS
This problems with me a year ago,when i build the first m08 diode ,it is 1k pot(1000ohm variable resistor)
https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/variable-resistor-value-blackbuck6-101833.html

From your Link... You never cleared up what the
actual question was or what you meant. Your
questions/answers were not clear.

I have 1 BB6 in use but I also have several in my hold unused and this is not good, I will remember to be very careful and gently press down as I adjust.

I'd try to support the tiny pot with some good
epoxy so it won't stress the solder pins/pads
until the seller finds a fix for the problem.
(of course he would neeed to be aware of the
problem)

I just ordered one of the 5.5A Drivers and have
a look what could be done. I'm removing the Pot
anyway.

Jerry

Last edited:
Epoxy to keep it from breaking loose is a good idea, maybe some of the UV curing glue.