Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Black Ping Pong Balls

Hey guys,

First time poster here. I've been interested in lasers since I bought my first red laser from Radio Shack back in the early 90's. Without getting into too many boring details, I'm finally realizing my life long ambition of owning and playing with high powered lasers. Seriously, it's something that's never left me.

Anyway, I searched the forum for black ping pong balls, but couldn't find anything. I'm curious if anyone has trying lighting a ping pong ball on fire with a laser? I would imagine black would give the best chance of igniting. BTW, if you havne't but a flame to a ping ball ball, I suggest trying it, but outside and away from anything else flamable. It's pretty neat, and unexpected, and not something you would EVER do inside. Not even in a garage.

What do you think, what would it take to ignite the ball?

Coby

I know the trick with igniting pingpong balls but I'm sure that won't work with a laser. When you actually light it on fire the gasses that escape make the flame grow a lot larger because they're feeding the flame.

When you shine your laser at the pingpong ball it will just melt a hole where the gas can escape and there won't be any flames thus no cool tricks. Sadly enough.

Tape a match head to the ping pong ball, then get the match with the laser! :)

I disagree, my 445nm lasers 2.5W+ would most likely be able to ignite a black ping pong ball

Last edited:
Alright laserpointerer, break out the 2.5W, some ping pong balls and a sharpie. :pop:

I know the trick with igniting pingpong balls but I'm sure that won't work with a laser. When you actually light it on fire the gasses that escape make the flame grow a lot larger because they're feeding the flame.

When you shine your laser at the pingpong ball it will just melt a hole where the gas can escape and there won't be any flames thus no cool tricks. Sadly enough.

That makes complete sense. Shoot, I was hoping for a fun alt. to flash paper, especially a longer lasting effect. I guess I haven't really looked up the temp of a 1w 445 laser. What would be your best guess to the highest temp that it could reach in Ferinheight?

Tommmtom, I love the idea, and would work on the much more available, and cheaper white ping pong balls :D

Last edited:
black pong balls would be impossible to deflect on a bounce! that's blasphemy!
never seen a black one. I do know they are filled with Hydrogen i believe. just a guess. it gives them a better bounce.

Not sharpie, but a black plastic ping pong ball. Seriously? You guys have never started anything on fire with your lasers?
Keep in mind I said most likely, based off the fact that I've lit other dark plastics on fire. Where can I get black ping pong balls? I'm really anxious to try this now

Last edited:
Black ping pong balls = ping pong balls + black sharpie

Where can I get black ping pong balls? QUOTE]

@ Kartracer seriously do you think they would put a flammable gas in ping pong balls :crackup:

if they wanted a better bounce why not an inert gas like helium :thinking:

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what they fill the ball with, but those suckers burn! Funny thing is, I would have never known, or thought about it had I not seen the warning on the back of the package that said, "Warning. Extremely flammable. Keep away from open flame." Of course I had to try out. Who knew!

The burn so well because they are made from nitrocellulose not because of any gas they put inside them :na:

Last edited:

Posite

I do have a few black ping pong balls.. Got them in an axe body wash gift pack a while back and left them in the garage for beer pong. Never used them. I wonder..