Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bit of help with far infrared

Sage

Hey guys,

I'm sure you get newb questions like this all the time, but I'm looking for a light source that fits very specific requirements, if they even exist. Might as well get right to it.

I recently purchased a dedicated low-light (rated .01 lux) streaming camera with the intent to use it as a sort of 'night vision device'. I also purchased two 35mw and one 100mw 980nm lasers to use with it. Unfortunately, the lasers I bought aren't bright enough, nor do they have the 'cone' or pool of light where they hit that I need. Ideally I'd like to be able to keep a majority of my screen illuminated, so I imagine that would involve a widely focusable lens. I was hoping to get 200-300 feet of visible range, but somehow I don't see that happening. They should also be above roughly 960nm in wavelength to avoid being able to be picked up by true phosphor/MCP night vision devices. Is there any such solution?

SKeeZ

Lasers may not be the answer. I am fairly sure that close to 0 products exist that are capable of throwing light 200-300ft and keeping it all bright. MAYBE a very specialized, expensive high power LED exists that will give you the desired throw.

NO4H99

An unfocused 1064nm at a reasonably high power may work. I use my 500mw 405 as a uv flashlight sometimes (finding scorpions :D). This would only work though if you were sure no person or animal would be within a few yards of you, because the laser would still be dangerous before it spreads.

Fiddy

Hey guys,

I'm sure you get newb questions like this all the time, but I'm looking for a light source that fits very specific requirements, if they even exist. Might as well get right to it.

I recently purchased a dedicated low-light (rated .01 lux) streaming camera with the intent to use it as a sort of 'night vision device'. I also purchased two 35mw and one 100mw 980nm lasers to use with it. Unfortunately, the lasers I bought aren't bright enough, nor do they have the 'cone' or pool of light where they hit that I need. Ideally I'd like to be able to keep a majority of my screen illuminated, so I imagine that would involve a widely focusable lens. I was hoping to get 200-300 feet of visible range, but somehow I don't see that happening. They should also be above roughly 960nm in wavelength to avoid being able to be picked up by true phosphor/MCP night vision devices. Is there any such solution?

What screen do you speak of?

what sized area are you trying to illuminate?

Sage

That is near infrared, not far infrared.

Yes, you're right, sorry. It was late-ish at night and I generalized, not many people I know have ever dealt with such wavelengths.

An unfocused 1064nm at a reasonably high power may work. I use my 500mw 405 as a uv flashlight sometimes (finding scorpions :D). This would only work though if you were sure no person or animal would be within a few yards of you, because the laser would still be dangerous before it spreads.

I'm assuming by dangerous you mean as a whole and not just to the eye, given the UV rating?

Hmm. Wants IR for night vision, but doesn't want people to know it's there. Sounds like another poacher to me.

I understand why you might think that, but actually I haven't shot an animal in my life. I was interested in this sort of set up purely as a hobby and to compliment airsoft on the rare occasion I'd use them, not poaching.

What screen do you speak of?

what sized area are you trying to illuminate?

I have my camera feeding to a simple 2.5" LCD screen with a fairly high resolution (given that is still only 2.5"), is this what you meant?

Each camera (I was planning on using two for a bifocal set up) has an FOV of 90 degrees, but I was optimistic for maybe a third of that to be illuminated to a reasonable range.

NO4H99

^^ Just dangerous to the eye. Unless were talking about huge powers, which you wouldn't need.