Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beware of PayPal misrepresenting transactions

I sent some money to a member in the EU and PayPal's exchange rate is far too low for USD to Euro's, then on top of that another time they misrepresented the amount of money the individual would receive, flat out lied saying they would get a specific amount and then take out a percentage without showing they did that. They also no longer allow me to send this individual money under friends and family.

From now on, if I can find a way to cut PayPal as well as ebay out of their fees, I am going to work damn hard to do so. Wanted to put the warning here in this section for individuals paying with PayPal anymore. I don't mind paying fees so much, but I do mind being flat out lied to and their hiding what is really going on. They are no longer a pal, but a company to avoid doing business with.

Last edited:

i have felt like that for a long time.. my mailing addy got edited (w/o me knowing)
--box went back to china --eekbay and poopal had my 'street' wrong.. not much really changed when ebah sold pp.

Sorry to hear. But I'm using PP to send money to friends around the world. Never have faced some issues at all. Even once I got scammed by an seller -> after three weeks was refunded. Seems I'm a lucky guy.....

When I send money in another currency Paypal just bills my Credit card in that currency. Then my Bank does the exchange rate. Never seen Paypal do the exchange rate themselves.

Never really had an issue with Paypal. They are very good at recoving money from dodgy sellers.

Seems I triggered something to prevent me from using friends and family for some individuals. Also, the exchange rate from USD to Euro is not flat, they take a portion for the bank without telling you and misrepresented how much the individual I was sending money to would actually get. When before pushing the send money button they show ******* Will Get XXX, and they take another fee out of that without telling you, misrepresenting the transaction, that is fraud to me.

Sorry to hear your problems with PayPal Chris...

A couple of years back eBay started to change the seller
rules in favor of buyers. More or less forced sellers to sell
with FREE Shipping. Then when you made a sale they would
hit you with fees on the Total Amount which obviously
included the shipping costs. Previously the fees were only
on the item price.
I solved the problem by Selling Much Higher on eBay with
a pointer to my Website.
This increased my website sales by ~150% and I haven't sold
anything on eBay for over a year. My eBay listings are only
advertising to drive business to my site.

I've not had a lot of problems with PayPal. It is my way of
getting paid without hassles. And I use it to buy product parts.
If a product is not delivered or damaged their Buyer protection
helped me a few times.

Jerry

I think i know what happened with the friends and family problem, I accidentally had put the money was for a sale, then tried to change it back to FF, they won’t let you, even if you didn’t send the money yet, he may now permantly be a seller no matter what I do. Lasersbee, I guess your ebay member name is how the find your web site?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Never had a problem with paypal or ebay. Maybe you guys are just one of the few unlucky ones? I dunno I never had issues.

I did not either for years, my main objection is their USD to Euro exchange rate is also a fee, as it is THEIR exchange rate, not the real one and their out right lie about how much money the individual will actually receive, this isn’t luck, that part is fraud.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah that sounds really bad. They probably expect most people to not notice just to get more money.

jnrpop

I did not either for years, my main objection is their USD to Euro exchange rate is also a fee, as it is THEIR exchange rate, not the real one and their out right lie about how much money the individual will actually receive, this isn’t luck, that part is fraud.

Pretty sure Jerry nailed the problem.

PP did change thier International Transaction Fees to favour the Buyer. So if you send Money not as Friends/Family, but for Goods Purchased, then even though the Buyer sends $xxx amount of dollars, and it shows that the Seller will recieve $xxx dollars from the Buyer, the Seller will be charged a 3-5% Fee from PP when the money arrives on the thier account. Sneaky because PP is not lying, the Seller is infact recieving $xxx dollars from the Buyer, but they dont tell the Buyer that they will charge the Seller a Fee, after $xxx has arrived from the Buyer. Very sneaky and not too transparent.

As for sending money as Friends/Family, im not sure any fees are taken from PP.

Anyone done a International F&F Transaction lately??

I think i know what happened with the friends and family problem, I accidentally had put the money was for a sale, then tried to change it back to FF, they won’t let you, even if you didn’t send the money yet, he may now permantly be a seller no matter what I do. Lasersbee, I guess your ebay member name is how the find your web site?
Could be... Or perhaps this line in the listing...;)

Designed & Manufactured by J.BAUER Electronics

Put J.BAUER Electronics in Google and I fill the 1st page.

Jerry

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
So ebay doesn't own paypal anymore? Wonder what happened.

Just received a PayPal notice of policy change for Canadians
to take effect on Nov 06 2020...
  • We are establishing a dispute fee and its terms and conditions for sellers.
  • When you pay for goods or services or send money, and such transaction involves a PayPal currency conversion, the currency conversion fee will be a minimum of 4% for all currencies.

There was no Dispute fee previously.....
4% will now be added to any Currency Exchanges
Looks like we better only buy and send in the currency
your PP account is setup in.

Won't be buying from Europe (Euroa) or Great Britain (Pounds)
anymore.

Jerry

jnrpop

oh dear, Paypal are going to bury themselves with all the options for online international payment continuing to rise. :unsure: