Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best place for 18650 Li-ion batteries

Telight;

Notebook batteries have a couple of concerns to be aware of :

First is the brand of the batteries (trusted name or unknown)

Second is the age since manufacture.

Lithium-ions have a fixed lifetime dependent on charging cycles and time elapsed since date of production.

Notebooks that are a few years old have lower capacity batteries (1800mah) and a hundred cycles or so.
That usually reduces capacity by ~30% .

End result is a battery with ~1200mah.

That is 50% of the capacity of a new 2400mah battery.

The batteries I use are also listed as UL components under UL1642,
which includes direct short and overcharge testing.

LarryDFW

P.S. The Flaminpyro Tank kit w/ copper heatsink is the bomb !!

Last edited:
Care to elaborate?

I have built over 300 LED UV lights over the last few years.

I started with Sony #18650 cells for ~ the 1st hundred lights.

The next series of lights I built used rechargable RCR123 cells.

I purchased these UltraFire cells from DX and Kaidomain.

The failure rate on these cells was roughly 15 times higher than the original Sony 18650 cells.

I then went back to Sanyo #18650 cells, and then the U.L. tested Panasonic #18650 cells.

Over a full year of operation, 18650 cell failure has been less than one out of every hundred cells in the field.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

Dirac

Hi, guys
Sorry about the inconvenience.
we usually do not include battery into a laser product package to reduce the risk of confiscation by customs or post office. you know batteries are usually not allowed by shippers or customs.
so i suggest buy battery locally or domestically
BTW, laserlands laser pens are over 90% over spec. there is none 5mw laser pointer pen actually to be honest
Merry

Oh I totally understand! I would much rather be sans batteries and actually get my lasers than them be seized.

I got the batteries I ordered in today and will be posting videos and reviews soon. Sorry larry I would have ordered from you but as soon as I saw the first link and everything looked legit there I ordered from that site. I will keep you in mind for future orders though!

The green so far is clocking at about 130mw with an incredibly thing beam but my 200mw red has some issues that I emailed you about Mary.

When I put the battery in a component on the driver board physically exploded. And actually burned off the plastic on the bottom of the battery. I would have assumed it was the battery that did it but the same one was initially in my green pointer and worked fine there. Hope we can work something out.

ixfd64

Not to sound racist, but I agree that Chinese batteries are often of questionable quality. For example, my Spyder I Pro came with a lithium-ion battery that was rated at 2,000 mAh. Since the Spyder has a power consumption of less than 1,500 mA, the battery should (logically) have lasted over 80 minutes, but I could never get more than half an hour from it.

mfo

Not to sound racist, but I agree that Chinese batteries are often of questionable quality. For example, my Spyder I Pro came with a lithium-ion battery that was rated at 2,000 mAh. Since the Spyder has a power consumption of less than 1,500 mA, the battery should (logically) have lasted over 80 minutes, but I could never get more than half an hour from it.

That don't necessarily mean it's bad. You're not going to get every single mAh out of the battery. Remember as voltage drops, internal resistance goes up.

So it's like "Here's a laser that's capable of providing 100mW. But remember, you won't get all of that 100mW because of conversion losses, optical losses, and congressional dentistry losses. You're lucky to measure 15mW, but we're STILL going to sell it as 100mW."

Dirac

So it's like "Here's a laser that's capable of providing 100mW. But remember, you won't get all of that 100mW because of conversion losses, optical losses, and congressional dentistry losses. You're lucky to measure 15mW, but we're STILL going to sell it as 100mW."

No its like here is a laser thats 100mW when its new but over time as the batteries die you are lucky to get 15mW but we are going to sell it as 100mW (because thats what it puts out).

The batteries hold a theoretical capacity of x mAh but because of the laws of physics the actual number is almost always lower. Getting a battery that is always flat across its full charge would be either expensive or very difficult.

ixfd64

True, a real 2,000 mAh battery would not allow a laser with a power consumption of 1,500 mA to run for 80 minutes; a reasonable estimate would be 50 to 60 minutes. Something is definitely wrong with the battery if it lasts only half an hour, though!

I'd be more worried about that laser that's being pumped with 1.5A :crackup:

But yeah, some people swear by A123 cells, but those have weird voltages and special charging requirements. Me, I love my sanyo 18650's, but got some panasonics (I think) that blow them outta the water. Esp. since my sanyos were kinda old. Still better than my *****fire batteries though...

BShanahan;

The A123 batteries are designed for heavy amp draw (~5C).

Because of this design, they only have about 60% of the capacity of an equivalent lithium-ion battery such as the #18650.

No other commercial battery has the mah capacity of Panasonic, LG & Sanyo lithium-ions,
in the volume & weight of the #18650.

LarryDFW

bob808

As I heard AW rechargeables are one of the best, correct me if I'm wrong please. I just ordered 2xCR123A rechargeable from them. They are about 750mAh but they are protected and got a lot of good feedback. I think Jayrob recommends those for his Pocket Mini kit.

Yes I will stand behind the ones Larry sells they are 100% better than the china ones, I get all mine from Larry now ;)