Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best new laser?

Hi all, I'm Damien from Ireland and this is my first post here 😊

I'm looking to buy my first ever laser but I find there are so many to choose from!

I want to get a laser for the night sky and I guess it would be cool to light a match to..lol..but mainly for the sky.

I have done some research already and I came across this forum...it's a great forum 😊
So I was looking at laserpointerpro.com and I was nearly going to buy one but I realised that they seem to be very expensive when compared to sites like Aliexpress...e.g....303 model.

What I am looking for is a powerful laser, green, about 500mW or above, that will take a 16850 battery as I have 4 of them batteries with a great changer, adjustable focus, something that can travel a few Km and maybe even visible in day light. My budget would be no more than around $100

I am looking forward to your replies and thanks all in advance for reading this.

Have a great day,
D.

What are the laser laws in Ireland ?

It's your responsibility to be in compliance with your local laws and to lase safely when/if you do.

I avoid the sky unless it's very clear and late night when there's no air traffic, I would suggest you look and listen for any air traffic before pointing to the sky, and if you see an aircraft way off to the side or anywhere in the sky at all, then don't point to the sky with any laser, it's a very big deal.

For 100 dollars US ....... I don't know of any 500mw greens, you can get 200mw 532nm modules on ebay for under 100 dollars US and put it into your own device providing it's legal where you live.

You will need eye protection ( wavelength specific laser safety glasses ) for anything over 5mw, such as balloon popping.

Last edited:

Encap

Stay far away for laserpointerpro---they misrepresent everything they sell and overcharge/charge absurd laughable high prices as well.

Ther is no such thing as a 500mW green laser for under $100---so you are SOL and anyway 500mW is too powerful for a first laser--even that would be far to little power to be able to see to the beam in daylight.

PS In the U.K., lasers used as pointers are limited to 1 milliwatt See: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/news/news/other-news_files/tag-uk.php#on

Last edited:
Hi,
Laserpointerpro is a no go as been said stay away from them . The 532nm /200mW is a better bet for you being your new to this. Safety glasses are a must .
Welcome to LPF enjoy and be safe.

Rich:)

Thanks for the replies guys and yes I'm very aware of safety as it's my day job....lol

Is there any decent models around for the budget of $100 ?

Any good websites you guys could recommend to me that are legit ?

I will be getting goggles too as I know I'll need them.

Thanks again for all your help guys

D.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Be aware that UK law will differ from EIRE law. But I can't imagine their stance being too dissimilar to EU laws and regulations.

Gazen

Thanks for the replies guys and yes I'm very aware of safety as it's my day job....lol

Is there any decent models around for the budget of $100 ?

Any good websites you guys could recommend to me that are legit ?

I will be getting goggles too as I know I'll need them.

Thanks again for all your help guys

D.

Encap provided a useful link for companies. The most trusted here are survivallasers, sanwu, jetlasers, laserglow, and dragonlasers(less reputable than the rest).

As others have said, you need safety glasses that block green. Keep in mind that many cheap 532 lasers also emit ir, so get glasses that block that too.

You won’t get 500mW for under $100, but for more check out jetlasers’ 532nm PL-E minis, they’re known to be of great quality and have internal focusing, which will help with burning.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Welcome to the LPF. As has already been stated, a 500 mW green laser is not possible for $100. Since it is illegal to sell pointers in your country over 1 mW, you could consider building your own. Many here have used flashlights as laser pointer hosts. You will need a heat sink, a laser diode, a module, lens, driver and the ability to put them altogether. Many new members and old alike buy their parts from DTR here on the LPF as he will set your driver and press your diode and put it altogether in a drop in module ready to use in the host of your choice. Here is the link: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home.

^^^^^^^^^^^ what they said. Laserpointerpro wouldnt even be my last resort choice. I personally like Laserpointerstore. but yes as they said, for 100 bucks US you can get a decent 532nm

Last edited:
I only have one laser from laserpointerstore.com. It was sent to over a year ago to review and is a pretty nice 445nm blue laser that has high power, PWM low power and strobe. If all their products are as good as this one laser I have, I would recommend them as well.

O-Like.com sells cheapest tem00 500mw DPSS laser I know of and that is for $179. Also, laserpointerstore.com sells the cheapest 1w green diode laser I know of at $200. I have bought lasers from both these stores and they tend not to false advertise. The quality of Sanwu lasers and Jet Lasers are better though. These lasers are very bright and generally not allowed in any western country to point these in the night skies. If you are spotted by a pilot doing so you may get a knock at your door from some unwanted quest. I use a 5mw laser for astronomy and always look for planes in the area before I use it. I am very careful whenever I use a laser outdoors (indoors too!).